• Register Today It's free!

Automatic to manual transmission

Tspring03

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster,Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
I am possibly thinking of swapping my automatic transmission from my 2003 explorer XLT with a manual transmission. I am having trouble with it and am told it is the servo pin. I am wondering how much this would cost and how hard this will be. Will I need to change the computer because it is set up for a automatic? Also will I need to put in a new harmonic balancer and bell housing or will the bell housing for the automatic work for the manual?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am possibly thinking of swapping my automatic transmission from my 2003 explorer XLT with a manual transmission. I am having trouble with it and am told it is the servo pin. I am wondering how much this would cost and how hard this will be. Will I need to change the computer because it is set up for a automatic? Also will I need to put in a new harmonic balancer and bell housing or will the bell housing for the automatic work for the manual?

4.0 or 4.6? They did make a manual 4.0, so you'd have to find one to swap all the parts over.

Personally, I'd just have the automatic rebuilt or buy a new one.

the 4.0 manual was a 2002 year model with an m5OD transmission

i would venture to guess that you could probably pull the parts you need from a ranger but i have no actual evidence to back this thought up

I have a 4.0 and I was just trying to figure out how many parts I would have to replace to make it work. If it is cheaper to rebuild I will but my local transmission shop charges 1800 to rebuild and re bore the servo pin hole

oh it will be worlds cheaper to rebuild than to swap..

I've only seen people with the manual try to swap to an auto due to issues with replacement parts. Personally, I'd love to have the option.

I could rebuild it with the servo pin bores modified for less than that. I could do a complete overhaul with all ford parts for $1500. I am in central Indiana, and a ford transmission mechanic. If you pull it out and just bring me the trans, I'll do it for $1100.

Back