automatic tranny won't shift out of 1st gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

automatic tranny won't shift out of 1st gear

Tim94111

Reaction score
City, State
S.F., CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport
I have a 1996 Ex Sport 4.0 automatic. All of a sudden I get in last night and it will not shift out of 1st gear. After a little while the "check engine" light came on. It will shift into/from park, reverse, neutral. It will not shift from 1st to 2nd if I use the shift lever.

I haven't had any kind of transmission problem in the past and it has always seemed to perform fine. I change and flush the transmission fluid as recommended. Before I take it to a mechanic on Monday, I'd like some ammo in my pocket. Is this likely an electrical system problem? If so, what could be malfunctioning? Or, do I really have a transmission problem? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

I know this thread is old but that screams intermediate band broken.

This happened to me this morning. The transmission got stuck on first. Took to the mechanic and he said it needs rebuilding. $1600 for the whole job.

Could this go away by just changing the transmission fluid???

Well, got the tranny rebuilt. So far (1 yr later) it has been working great. There is a lingering rubbing sound that sometimes comes up when I accelerate. Other than that the truck's been working wonderful.

i have been fighting with this same problem. bought a 93 ford explorer with 97 tranny. was stuck in low gear and won't shift up... checked all vacuum lines-good, governor in transfer case-good. fuses-good, modulator-good, just trying to figure out what is next to check... will keep posted..

Back