Automatic trans P position loose

Karpov

Reaction score
City, State
Finland so my english is bad :D
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 4x4 '93
Hehheee me again.

Ex owner did overhaul to trans and then parking position was loose.

How much it can be adjust?

Now if i let car on P it wont stay on if ground is not flat.

Sounds like rathcet so P postiion nail slips on flywheel?

Can i adjust it or does i have to remove transfer case?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It can be adjusted without removing anything. If you give me your email address, I can email you the procedure to adjust the linkage, with pictures.

Thank you again for great pics!

I tried to adjust many times.

Ive tried to adjust it carefully little by little and now the situation is that i can but p position on and others r d 2 1 etc and its precise.

Adjust in another way did so that P position not engaged at all (it was too tight) or it was too loose even shift to and loose at hill.

Now its loose like it was.

What i do wrong? Hope you understand what i tried to say.

Ford suggests starting with setting the Neutral position. I had better luck starting with setting the Park position. I just had to keep working at it until I was happy. If you take the steering column shroud off, you can see the mechanism better to make small adjustments.

Hopefully the parking pawl is not damaged. Try disconnecting the shift linkage (at the transmission), set the lever on the transmission itself to the Park position, and check by pushing the Explorer if it will function.

The park pawl should hold on minor hills but can jump if it is overloaded. For example if you put the transmission into Park while the Explorer was still moving, the pawl would not lock in and would jump, making an awful "ting ting ting" noise. If this is done often the pawl can get damaged and not want to hold strongly any more.

Okay thanks! . I tried it once N but most of time i started with P.

If it wont adjust (i can get p on or other positions) or p comes on too easy, its then damaged?

Now it makes just that ting ting ting sound even light hill.

My rear brake still jams (ive not ordered parts yet because they are allways different warehouse on rockauto where other ordered parts are) so this should work :(

I don't know for sure about how to check for damage to the park pawl, hopefully someone else will post what they know. I have taken the transfer case off before and it is easy to do, but I don't know if you can access the park pawl without removing the extension housing.

Back