F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
Hey guys...

I haven't made up my mind, but I'm thinking I'd like to buy either a 2nd gen 5.0L or a 3rd gen, don't know if I'd go 4.0L or 4.6. Anyway, in reality, are these transmissions reliable and long-lived? I'd be buying a 4x4 model with under 100k miles.

Does the five speed auto hold up well? I'm not sure if its true, but the 5 speed auto to me is descended from the a4ld, which is from the C3, which is a 4 banger Pinto tranny :( . The Five . Oh sounds good due to the 4R70w, and I really don't need low range.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The hard parts such as the planetaries in the 4R70W are much beefier compared to the ones which are used in the 5R55E.

As I understand, the 4R70W is overbuilt for an Ex/Mountie. My dad's '98 E350 with a 4.6L had the 4R70w, and was used as a stocked plumbing truck. It only developed a hard shift at around 180k miles. To me thats a good automatic

Just wanted to bump this...any other comments on tranny reliability? There's an '02 4.0 Limited I'm eyeing :)

The 2002 has a 5R55W which has no dipstick, and has a unitary (one piece case). The solenoid block is also a modular one piece design. If one solenoid is bad (such as the EPC), you have to replace the entire block. The servos are larger than the previous models, and apply more pressure to the bands (possibly breaking them faster).

Back