Autonomous Explorer - self driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Autonomous Explorer - self driving

stillmarried

Reaction score
City, State
South Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 ExplorerLimited 3.5L
I read in media.ford.com that Ford is working on autonomous vehicles, (self driving). Are you kidding me?

The darn Navigation on my Ex could not find the Walmart 10 miles away until the My Ford Touch came out with the 3.8 version update. Yeah, like I am going to push a button on a new Explorer and let it drive itself.

Hey, here is an idea Ford...try to fix the problems on the Explorers that have been around for the last 6 years first before you start working on self driving cars!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do not buy in to the whole autonomous driving thing. I am a pilot and spend the majority of the flight letting the computers do all of the work. A typical flight can be completely hands off from the throttle advance on the take off roll all the way to a Category III landing at the destination airport. What's the difference you may ask? I spend hundreds of hours in a simulator and at the actual controls training for what to expect when the computers go off-line (and they will!) and how to anticipate systems anomalies or failures before they get out of hand. Will the typical driver be interested in this kind of vehicle operation? Hell no! And I am not either. I want to get in my car and go. Sure, there may be some safety enhancements to be made, but we are not ready for full reliance on computer technology without human oversight.

I do not buy in to the whole autonomous driving thing. I am a pilot and spend the majority of the flight letting the computers do all of the work. A typical flight can be completely hands off from the throttle advance on the take off roll all the way to a Category III landing at the destination airport. What's the difference you may ask? I spend hundreds of hours in a simulator and at the actual controls training for what to expect when the computers go off-line (and they will!) and how to anticipate systems anomalies or failures before they get out of hand. Will the typical driver be interested in this kind of vehicle operation? Hell no! And I am not either. I want to get in my car and go. Sure, there may be some safety enhancements to be made, but we are not ready for full reliance on computer technology without human oversight.
As evidenced by that fatal Tesla accident. For me, I enjoy driving.

Peter

I agree with both of you. I do not see autonomous automobiles (isn't that redundant?) in the near (and probably even distant) future. Automobile manufacturers (and for that matter, all consumer technology manufacturers) spend millions on advanced systems R&D not just as research expenditure for potential new offerings, but also so they can SAY that they spend millions on R&D and position themselves as a 'forward thinking' organization. As a former marketing exec with a Fortune 50 company (cooking is a second career) at times we spent money to maintain a competitive position knowing full well that a practical, useful, consumer technology would probably never result. We did it because everyone else was doing it and a market position would suffer if we were not perceived as also developing emergent technologies. Self-driving cars are seemingly the expected 'next step' that car makers and some tech companies (Google) seem to be taking. If they don't, someone else will and they will be perceived as being left behind.

Besides, I personally do not see American drivers ceding their love of driving a car to the car. As rtsittner commented (and as a Private Pilot myself - my brother is also a retired 727 driver) automation can also only go so far. Once aloft the aircraft can take me from point a to point b, but I still have to first manually rotate that sucker into the air, and then plant it when I get to my destination. And that takes split second decisions developed by rigorous repetitive training and muscle memory, along with executing emergency procedures when faced with unexpected situations. Sorry Ford, but I'll take my chances with ME driving in a snowstorm
rather than your 2025 Expediplorerscape.

Regardless, culturally we Americans hold dear our individual autonomy (at least most of us do) and forfeiting actual driving to a robotmobile is not something that I see us giving up any time soon. Peterk9: "For me, I enjoy driving" pretty much says it all.

I didn't think that Tesla was supposed to be 100% hands-free though, was it? Wasn't he watching a movie when he crashed? I've also seen video of someone (supposedly) sleeping behind the wheel of a Tesla. I was under the impression they were more for 'heavy assistance' than 'completely autonomous.' I could be wrong, though.

I didn't think that Tesla was supposed to be 100% hands-free though, was it? Wasn't he watching a movie when he crashed? I've also seen video of someone (supposedly) sleeping behind the wheel of a Tesla. I was under the impression they were more for 'heavy assistance' than 'completely autonomous.' I could be wrong, though.
You're right. You're supposed to be alert on the wheel. That's what Tesla emphasizes.

The collision avoidance system or whatever Tesla calls it apparently failed to distinguish the difference between the colour of the sky and the blue truck the vehicle hit. No warning.

The collision avoidance system or whatever Tesla calls it apparently failed to distinguish the difference between the colour of the sky and the blue truck the vehicle hit. No warning.

The guy was also watching Harry Potter at the time on portable DVD player. You're also right, the image recognition by the camera failed to recognize the trailer. There's no ultra sound sensors on the upper top part of the car which I assume played a role because ultra sound sensors would have easily caught that.

My '16 Ex will stay centered in lane and adjust speed to match the car ahead. I still drive with my hand on the wheel and foot near the brake pedal. My home computer freezes and needs rebooting from time to time. I don't want to rely on my car needing to be rebooted at 75 mph.

To be very clear, Tesla specifically states that you are NOT supposed to take your hands off the wheel when you are using AP. In fact, it gives you FOUR warnings if you remove your hands from the wheel. If you fail to put your hands on the wheel within a few seconds of each warning, it moves on to the next.

1) Message to put hands on wheel on screen
2) Message again plus a double beep with music muted during the beep
3) Message to put hands on wheel again plus triple beep and music muted until hands go back on wheel.
4) Message to put hands on wheel to maintain speed (car will start to slow down and hazards go on) with continuous beeping.

The accidents reported (included the Model X) all had the owners with their hands OFF the wheel. Sorry but this is on the owners using a feature the way it was NOT intended to be used.

To be very clear, Tesla specifically states that you are NOT supposed to take your hands off the wheel when you are using AP. In fact, it gives you FOUR warnings if you remove your hands from the wheel. If you fail to put your hands on the wheel within a few seconds of each warning, it moves on to the next.

1) Message to put hands on wheel on screen
2) Message again plus a double beep with music muted during the beep
3) Message to put hands on wheel again plus triple beep and music muted until hands go back on wheel.
4) Message to put hands on wheel to maintain speed (car will start to slow down and hazards go on) with continuous beeping.

The accidents reported (included the Model X) all had the owners with their hands OFF the wheel. Sorry but this is on the owners using a feature the way it was NOT intended to be used.

I wonder what this guy did to be able to fall asleep in his Tesla. Maybe he mounted some weights on the steering wheel which I heard some people were doing.

Back