AutoZone Does not have Code Reader For 91-94! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AutoZone Does not have Code Reader For 91-94!

metstalker

Reaction score
City, State
Atl, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Explorer XLT
the people at autozone told me that they discontinued the code reader for the 91-94 systems. Has anyone else encountered this. where could i take it to get a free code read now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You mean they don't sell wire anymore or analog voltmeters? I find that hard to believe.
Or are you not aware that the only tool required for the self-tests on '91-'95 Explorers is a short piece of wire (paper clip works). You can use an analog voltmeter for code output (my preference), but they are also output by the CEL. Read over www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html for instructions on doing it yourself.

on those models you can short the pins on the diagnosic harness. It will then flash the check engine light to tell you the codes. I'll take a look in my chiltons book later and tell you what pins to connect.

The code will come out as flashes. Each digit is seperated by a 1 second pause and each code is seperated by a 3 second pause. a code 13 would be:

flash,1-second pause,flash,flash,flash,3 second pause.

I can send you a list of the code meanings.

shorty beat me to it

no i am talking about the electric reader and the people at auto zone did no imform me of it

so what do i need. just a wire?

yep just a peice of wire or a paperclip.

If you go to www.batauto.com and look in codes the whole procedure with pictures is there.

I had my 1994 XLT codes read at autozone within the last year....with the OBDII or whatever scanner. Maybe it is just a problem with your particular autozone?

Go buy your own reader for about $25. Then you can check your X any time. Got mine at Walmart.

Originally posted by Positive Vibes
Go buy your own reader for about $25. Then you can check your X any time. Got mine at Walmart.

Yup, all it is is a little flashing light. :D Or atleast the ones I was looking at.

Back