AutoZone shackles??

rino351

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Golden, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I've heard of AutoZone making 2" shackles for the gen 1, but have looked and have come up with no results.
Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?
Appreciate the help.
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah AutoZone makes some extended shackles for the X. A few people have them on here, but I'd just go with the Warrior's. They're a lot better quality and there's always usually someone on here selling them.

I just was looking on Auto Zone's website, and I could find nothing. I did a search on this site and came up with a part #81400, but that turned up 3 unrelated results on Auto Zone's.
Are they still making them for sure?
Ryan

Not completely sure if they still make them. Have you tried just going to the store or calling and asking about them?

No, I figured I'd ask around here and search on the internet before calling.
I've also heard that Pep Boys makes some too, do you know anything about those?
Thanks,
Ryan

Nah, we don't have a Pep boys around here.

You would rather search around on the internet instead of picking up the phone and calling them?

Anyway, yes, everytime I have been in that section of AutoZone, they have had them. Advance Auto Parts has them too. Not sure about PepBoys.

edit: and they are not specifically made for Xs, they are universal, adjustable lift shackles.

I have those shackles. They are universal fit lift shackles. They raised the rear of my X about 2 inches. Some people do not like them, but I have had no problems what so ever and they have been on there for about a year now. The best thing was they only cost me about $12.99 plus tax.

I have also had them on for a few years. Got them at auto zone but they are not made by them. I think they are called universal lift shackles.
Not the best pic but you get the idea.
Picture_020.jpg

i have em, too. ive had them for a year and a half with no problems. if i was in your shoes, i'd pony up the extra $30 for the warriors. They are sold as universal lifting shackles and i have only seen them at advanced auto and autozone.

Hey thanks for all the info. I'm going to auto zone later today to see if they have some.
Then I'll pick up some coil spacers too.
Thanks again,
Ryan

I also have the autozone shackles and they've never given me in a probs

I was just down to my local AutoZone, and the guy behind the counter said that they don't sell them anymore because they are too flemsy. Is this true where you other guys live?
That sounded kind of goofy to me. Maybe I'll call a couple other stores and see what they say. After seeing that some of you got the AZ shackles for like $15, I could beef them up a little and basically make it like a Warrior shackle. $15 is a lot better than $50+
Ryan

They are pretty strong. Paexplorer told me that in extreme flexing situations they may cause the leaf spring to twist. My truck is a daily driver, at it sees 90% on road and about 10% off road (noy much off roading in philly suburbs). I do not plan to do any serious off roading until I graduate from school and get something else for a daily driver. They seem plenty strong for my purposes so I say get them, unless you do extreme flexing situations.

Back