AUX Button Light Wiring

Trader0000

Police Explorer for sale....needs paint
Reaction score
City, State
Glen Ellyn , IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU 3.7L
I want to install off road lights on my 2013 PUI using a control relay and using the AUX steering wheel button. I found the 14 pin connector in the center console. The wires from the connector to the rest of the truck have been cut and removed. They did leave the pigtail when they pulled all the radios, lights and siren. I download the 113 page electrical section from Ford but it is not very informative on the connections.
Is the button a ground connection and if so how do I wire the power to my control relay using the AUX button?
BTW I am a noobie to the forum. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Trader0000.:wave:

Peter

I want to install off road lights on my 2013 PUI using a control relay and using the AUX steering wheel button. I found the 14 pin connector in the center console. The wires from the connector to the rest of the truck have been cut and removed. They did leave the pigtail when they pulled all the radios, lights and siren. I download the 113 page electrical section from Ford but it is not very informative on the connections.
Is the button a ground connection and if so how do I wire the power to my control relay using the AUX button?
BTW I am a noobie to the forum. Thanks

Make sure you have the proper 14 pin connector. There should be two up under the dash. One is for the police options, and the other is for power and vehicle signals. You want the power and vehicle signals one. See 2-61 in the 2014 upfitter guide.

The aux wires are pins 2, 3, 4, and 5 respectively in the 14 pin connector. The colors are gray-brown, white-violet, green-brown, and yellow-gray if the connector has been cut off. These wires are switched grounds. You will need some relays to utilize them. Do not hook up the ground side of your lights to these wires or you will fry something. The AUX switches will control ground side of the coil of a standard automotive relay. See diagram. There are also power wires in that 14 pin connector.
RaR77IU.jpg

Many, many thanks Billy!
I pulled 12+VDC from pin #1and it works flawlessly! I went to a shop that specializes in EM lighting to ask about this question and boy did I get the run around. You would have thought that I was asking for the secret launch codes for ICBMs!
Once again many thanks.

One thing with those switches is that they are only on when the ignition is in the On position. They will turn off when you turn the vehicle off.

Yes I know that. That is a good thing so aux is not left on. I also used one of the 3 hot 12vdc from the six pin connector to feed control relay.Thanks. BTW, as per Ford wiring guide the gommet under the glove box can be pried out instead of trying to slice in place. My PUI has a brace in the way for direct access so trying to cut it was a pain. Once removed it can be reinstalled after you pull the new wires before you terminate them.

Starting with the 2015 model year Ford started putting extra circuits though the firewall in addition to the grommet. They added two pairs of 14 ga. wire and four pairs of 20 ga. wire capped off for the upfitter to use.

I have a 4 pin factory connector in left side engine compartment. Two sides are ground and the leads went to front grill led stobes. Was this controlled with a factory modular? Can I activate it with Foscan?

I think that goes to the 14 pin police options connector somehow. All the emergency lighting should be controlled by 12V not anything in Forscan.

I am a newbie for the PIU, I cannot find the second 14 pin connector in center console. Also I have no remote door receiver under radio tray. Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time.

The second connector is white and less beefy than the vehicle signals connector. Hopefully it wasn't cut off. I don't believe there is a remote door receiver under the console plate at all. I enabled remote locks and remote start via Forscan in my 2014 and I have no receiver.

I have cut wires everywhere with some harnesses completely gone. It appears that they also pulled the front passenger seat because the rubber floor may is out of alignment. There must have been a harness under the mat along the passenger rocker panel. The second row seat was also missing when I purchased the vehicle. I enjoy troubleshooting auto electric but this is a real challenge.

My right front door speakers do not work. The right rear does work. I swapped with left front speaker and it did not work. All wires look good, door rubber conduit good. I pulled the radio head and there was no interface between the connector. Was going to swap rear output wires to front but I cannot find wiring schematics. Do you know the color codes?

Went outside and found the second white 14 connector up inside the center console. Male plug side is missing and four wires are cut from female side. I believe these are the four that lead to the engine compartmen plug. So it appears I spent four hours today running extra wires to the engine compartment. Will verify with meter tomarrow. Thanks again for your help.

The 14 pin police connector does not have all 14 wires. I believe some of them are empty from the factory. The upfitter guide should have the pinout.

Yes the connector does not have all 14 pins wired.

Back