Aux Driving Lights - switch options | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aux Driving Lights - switch options

Frolin

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
Adding a front push bumper and off-road Driving Lights to my 2013 Explorer Limited, and wondering what others have done for a toggle switch setup and location ?

Went to an XLT, came home with Limited with extras. The 3-button setup on left is all used up. It's been 'away from home' for a bit so can't go look at the dash at present. It's a classy model so don't want a cheap toggle switch drilled and mounted. So wondering about options.

A- any other stock places maybe I have not noticed to add a simple switch ?

B- wiring, any thoughts / benefits to having a 3-way to select when they come on as... highbeam-off-on. So link to high beams or just turn on, vs simply link to high beams ?

C- suggestions for wiring as plan to put the switch on/under the console area, and the lighting harness relay under the hood, where is an easy place to tap in to the high beam power line to get power signal for the aux lights relay ?

thanks!
Frolin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aux lights switch option

Why not use wireless controller you can hide anywhere.. Velcro the very small push button key fob anywhere .. often they are multi channel so you can use only one small key fob

Adding a front push bumper and off-road Driving Lights to my 2013 Explorer Limited, and wondering what others have done for a toggle switch setup and location ?

Went to an XLT, came home with Limited with extras. The 3-button setup on left is all used up. It's been 'away from home' for a bit so can't go look at the dash at present. It's a classy model so don't want a cheap toggle switch drilled and mounted. So wondering about options.

A- any other stock places maybe I have not noticed to add a simple switch ?

B- wiring, any thoughts / benefits to having a 3-way to select when they come on as... highbeam-off-on. So link to high beams or just turn on, vs simply link to high beams ?

C- suggestions for wiring as plan to put the switch on/under the console area, and the lighting harness relay under the hood, where is an easy place to tap in to the high beam power line to get power signal for the aux lights relay ?

D- other ideas others have done, I have not thought about ?

thanks!
Frolin
Do you still have the 97 XLT? If not, please update your profile to show 2013 Limited so it will appear in the margin. If you have both, then you should add the Limited to your signature. Thanks.

Peter

Expoman, thanks but don't need wireless when it's driving lights mounted on the bumper. Gotta run wires to something, might as well be the button in the console and be done.

PeterK9, never had a 97 model, not sure why system had that, but fixed. Now do you have any answers to the questions or just personal observations?

Folks, figured many have wired up lights in a modern Explorer. Was just asking what others have done but starting to do it herel...
So still looking for answers to the questions.

Frolin

.....PeterK9, never had a 97 model, not sure why system had that, but fixed. Now do you have any answers to the questions or just personal observations?
Just trying to make sure all info that members show is up to date.
Thank you for updating. If I find anything on the switches, I'll post info. I'm sure someone must have added a switch or two since some members have added things like light bars etc. Have you tried using the 'Search' program?
Just found a thread with two posts about possible locations for a switch.

Peter

Frolin,
I was only offering wireless as it allowed me to put the switch wherever i wanted it and ALL my wiring stayed under hood without firewall penetration was all. just offering my experience.

Back