• Register Today It's free!

Average MPG

96_5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Topeka, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 5.0 Allwheel Drive
What is the average MPG on a '96 5.0 allwheel drive?? I get 16-17mpg on mine and I am not sure if I should be getting better?? Also is there anything I can do to get better gas milage? Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds about right for a 5.0, especially if that's a mixed city/highway number. I average about 18 with mixed use with my 4.0.

I'll let the actual V8 owners get into suggestions on making it more efficient.

That's what I usually get around. As for better gas mileage, make sure you keep it in good running condition - plugs, wires, air filter, clean MAF, oil changes, you know, the standard stuff. Check out Aldive's thread, 30 MPG, to get some more tips. :thumbsup:

With the summer blend of gas I'll get 14 - 15 mixed at best. My top mileage was 16 MPG. In the winter it drops down to around 10 MPG - 7 MPG was my worst.

I've tried a bunch of things and took it to the dealer and a mechanic and both could find nothing wrong. I've seen 5.0s on the site claim 18 - 20 so I think it is the luck of the draw.

BTW I'm running the stock 16" wheels and have AWD.

So from the sounds of it I am getting pritty good milage out of it. I do keep everything intoon and clean. The thing that I am conserned about is that its got a little over 180 thousend on it and me wanting to add more performance to it mite make it show that milage. The way it looks and runs you would not beleave it has that much on it.

Also if I was to put a set of 20" wheels on it how much would that change things?? Thanks for everyones help, Eric

I get 12 to 12.5 mpg. I used to get closer to 14 or so before I had these tires. This is on premium gas w/ the apten chip.

I get about 14 MPG with 40% highway 60% city. It has pretty much had every maintenance item to it that it would ever need within the last 5,000 miles. New plugs, coolant, trans fluid, rear diff fluid, oil, fuel system flush, etc... When I bought my car, it had 58,000 miles on it, and I got 11 mpg (I drive with a lead foot). I don't drive and different, and now I get 14 after all the maintenance and the intake just for fun!

i get about 17 with my 4.0 eb 4x4 .suprised at 17 really thats combo driving seen it go to 15.3 though usually 17 with 31x10.50 tires on 15x7 rims 3.73 gears, 178,000 miles on her just got it hope she lasts , i got horrible gas mileage with the 93 4x even before the lift.

Mine's about 14 MPG. '98 XLT 5.0 V8. Stock with 15inch wheels.

Goober

I get 15-17 mpg.
kfkodiak said:
I'll let the actual V8 owners get into suggestions on making it more efficient.
My trick to increase gas milage, park the X and drive my Grand Prix! ;)

When my truck is dirty and I feel like being sane: 21 mpg hwy, 14 city

When my truck is clean and I drive it like a sports car 13 mpg hwy, 9 mpg city

I get 13.2 80% city. I'm on 33s, a little motor werk, and 4wd.

Back