Aviator "Adaptive Suspension" vs "Adaptive Suspension with road preview" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aviator "Adaptive Suspension" vs "Adaptive Suspension with road preview"

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator
I'm waiting for my 2020 Aviator Reserve I and was looking at the ordering guide today....

It seems that if you get AWD with the Reserve (as I am) you get "Adaptive Suspension" which also includes the Noise Reduction Module and Sound Insulation Pack.

My question is, what features does the Adaptive Suspension offer you. It must not be the "Road Preview" version of that offering, but i'm curious what portion of "Adaptive" are you getting with this option.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure about "air suspension". I know the Air Suspension with Road Preview is the following.

Lincoln Aviator Suspension Scans The Road 500 Times Per Second

Are you sure it isnt "airglide suspension"?

IMG_4894.jpg

Not sure it has been discussed here but that question is common. The adaptive suspension is a magneride type shock. The dynamic handling package has the air ride suspension with road preview.

Edit: to clarify the dynamic handling package adds road preview and replaces the springs with air bags. The shocks are still the same (mostly). Also adaptive requires AWD or 22" rim's. 2WD reserve with 20" rim's is the standard non-adjusting shocks.

Last edited:

This is under the heading of Air Suspension (if equipped).
Using Easy Entry The air suspension can lower your vehicle to an easier access entry height when the system detects the intelligent access key, you press the unlock button, use the remote start, or use Phone as a Key. The leveling process stops when you open a door or the target level is achieved.

Using Cargo Loading The air suspension cargo loading feature lowers your vehicle for easier access when the system detects the liftgate is opening. When the liftgate is closed your vehicle returns to its normal height after a short time.

Also, at highway speeds it will lower 0.6" in order to reduce drag.

There is no mention of "Adaptive Suspension" in the Owner's Manual.

Peter

Last edited:

I believe the Aviator has the ability to lower itself to make entry/exit easier. Also, at highway speeds it will lower in order to reduce drag. I believe it is separate from the road preview option.

Peter

The Dynamic Handling Package specifically states " Air Glide Suspension with Dynamic Lower Entry" So I think the air suspension is the only option that allows the lowering for entry. The coil shocks doesn't offer the Dynamic Lower Entry.

Sorry John. I was in the process of editing my initial post when you replied.

Peter

Back