• Register Today It's free!

Aviator blend door broken?

ponkotsu

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Lincoln Aviator
So this is a bit of a mystery. Today I pulled the radio unit from my Aviator. In the process I noticed that some linkage on the heater system is broken. It's near the top and behind the radio. When I push the various buttons I can see the vacuum diaphragm moving in and out. The strange thing is, everything seems to be working. I push the heat, defrost and vent buttons and the air changes like it should. It changes from hot to cold like it should. I do think the heat seems rather weak in cold weather though. Anybody have some idea what it should be controlling? I don't know if this is the same as the blend door issue on Explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So according to the Ford Parts list, it's the HVAC blend door for the defroster. Defroster seems to be working though, even though this is completely broken.

My lever arm broke and my louver became stuck. Your louver could be free or wedged. The louver should be open in defrost and closed for non-defrost selections. So you may noticed reduced floor or panel flow.

The job to replace is pretty lengthy because you have to remove the entire dash to replace it.

Another forum member's only broke where the metal actuator shaft attached to the louver arm. He is going to try and find a way to reattach. See this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400775

Here is a link to a full replacement:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...ghlight=plenum

My lever arm broke and my louver became stuck. Your louver could be free or wedged. The louver should be open in defrost and closed for non-defrost selections. So you may noticed reduced floor or panel flow.

The job to replace is pretty lengthy because you have to remove the entire dash to replace it.

Another forum member's only broke where the metal actuator shaft attached to the louver arm. He is going to try and find a way to reattach. See this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400775

Here is a link to a full replacement:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...ghlight=plenum
I think I do have reduced flow to the floor, but not sure because I think it's been broken since I bought it. I need to pull the dash anyway to fix the brake pedal motor gear, so I think this will be next Saturday's project. Doesn't look too bad pulling the dash from this car compared to some. There is an Aviator at the local pull n' pay. Maybe I'll go there today and snag the parts if they are still there. I can't find the parts for this gear in the Ford parts list, you have to buy the entire plenum assembly. But I can probably fabricate something if needed.

This is a picture from the manual of what's broken. The lever isn't broken, the shaft is completely pulled out of the plenum box. I pushed it back in, but just falls out again. Probably something broken inside. This is the dual controls which might explain why the failure isn't so noticeable. Probably getting blended with the passenger side.

Plenum.jpg

If the lever/shaft is about 2" long and 1/2" diameter, then look very closely at the end that goes into the plenum. See if you see fractured plastic/ABS. This is where mine broke. That lever is part of the plenum assembly and you should not be able hold that in your hand separate.

If the lever/shaft is about 2" long and 1/2" diameter, then look very closely at the end that goes into the plenum. See if you see fractured plastic/ABS. This is where mine broke. That lever is part of the plenum assembly and you should not be able hold that in your hand separate.

Yeah, it looks like you say. Can't tell if it's broken though because too hard to see. I realized last night driving home in the snow that my defroster doesn't have heat, just barely warm. Now that explains the drafty feeling I've had in the car. I always thought there was something wrong. So I'm going to have to tear into the dash and fix it. I can't buy that part separate, but I'm sure I can fabricate something in the shop. I want to fix the power adjustable pedals as long as the dash is out, but can't get the correct scoop on which part I need. The Aviator doesn't have anything listed. Don't want to tear the dash out without the parts in my hand first.

4 hours to remove the dash. 2 minutes to fix the shaft with a little JB Weld. Probably it could have been fixed while still in the dash with a little patience and a mirror.

Glad that worked for you.

Funny story of mine. I noticed defrost problems. I stuck my hands in and around the stereo unit thinking I could just stick that black plastic lever arm back on. No luck. I replaced the defrost plenum assembly. A week or two later I am driving along and something made me slam on the brakes. A black little lever arm drops down onto the driver side floormat. I can't believe my new plenum broke so soon. After further review, it was the old lever that I somehow left loose behind the dash.

I've had things fall out of my dash before. Always makes you wonder if it's important enough to fix. So today's task is to reinstall my dash. I'll take my time and make sure nothing else is broken, loose, or rattling in the process. I don't have the new adjustable pedal in hand, but I'll reinstall it anyway. I figured out a way that I can reinstall the new one after the dash is in. The hard part is grinding off the staked end cap on the rear of the hotdog tube. I'll just polish it down for a nice slip fit and then install a set screw in it. That way if it ever brakes again I'll be able to change it out in a few minutes. If I have time this week I'll fabricate my own gear out of bronze. I'm fortunate to have access to a machine shop and have 30 years of machining experience, so it's a pretty simple task to make this gear.

Back