Aviator lamp assembly in 2002/03 XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aviator lamp assembly in 2002/03 XLT?

I was staring at the pix on the lincoln.com web site and I can swear that the lighting assembly is identical in shape to the X's. Anyone have access to parts to try this before we all go nuts and spend money on it?

This way we would have a proper HID ballast, proper projector or free-form housing desinged for HID and proper high beams! not to mention the different turning signals that are on the Aviator.

Let us know if you can try this!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Call me crazy but I don't see a similarity.

Attachments

• lincolnex.jpg
    lincolnex.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 269

The 02/03 explorer lights are awesome, why would you want to change them? I wish my 96 lit up the road like my mom's 02!!!

Originally posted by JasonF
The 02/03 explorer lights are awesome, why would you want to change them? I wish my 96 lit up the road like my mom's 02!!!

(I feel the same way you do :(

they do look alike... they arent exact though.... isnt the aviator just lincolns explorer anyways? the same way the lincoln blackwood is an f150 supercrew with a plastic bed? or the lincoln navigator and the expedition?

I cant tell from the picture---Is the Aviator's headlight separate from the corner light. They look similar except for the corner light(blinker).

Originally posted by justin146
I cant tell from the picture---Is the Aviator's headlight separate from the corner light. They look similar except for the corner light(blinker).

I see the resemblance too

The similarity is hard to see because on the lincoln the blinker is under the headlamp wheras the x has it on the side. Ignoring that, however, look at the shape - between the fender and hoodline as well as the intake area.

The main reason I'd go for replacing it is to go to HID. I agree, the lights are pretty darned nice as is - but my other car is HID and there really is no substitute.

P

I would guess those Aviator headlamps are over $400 a piece from the dealer. Thats nearly $800 total, enough to get yourself a pretty good HID system for your current headlamp design, and still have a few hundred left over.

$800 for a factory HID system is dirt cheap. My other car is a Mercedes. Factory HID's cost around $1500-1700 for the parts - then there's install. I know, I know, the little star logo has a lot to do with that ;)

But! for $800 to get proper projector/reflector assemblies so we don' t blind oncoming traffic (and at that height it would) is a pretty good deal.

P

did somebody check into this. i would really like to do the coverison because of the HID.

Welcome, exbauer! The conversion would not work. But you can get True HID for your truck. You could even have High and Low HID's Just get 9005 & 9006 True Conversion kits.

They do look similar but, as I look at the body lines particularly the lip on the fender I'm not to sure it is a match. The HID kit that BM installed is pretty nice, and should suffice for a good HID setup with little investment and mods.

I don't see why just swapping out the Headlight Units wouldn't work? Leave the turn signals, I think they're seperate on the Aviator. And weren't After market HID kits illeagal now?

fender line is a bit different on the Aviator... IMO it won't work unless you also transplant fenders.

It's all doable - depends how much you're willing to spend.

Back