Aviator Mirrors on Sport Trac

1996EB

2007 Sport Trac V8 Limited
Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 ST Limited 4.6L 4x4
I installed Aviator mirrors on my Sport Trac. It’s the 2nd time I’ve done this. I previously did it on my 3rd gen Limited. I’ll add a link to that write up.
A3BCDC50-996E-4F30-B84B-8E465AA3BD3B.jpeg
9EC306C8-CD0D-4EBA-9A93-445739815569.jpeg
3AB84202-DDC4-4114-A2F2-3A97CC999826.jpeg
70B5DC13-C285-4F54-8132-061D8382C34A.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This wiring pin out spreadsheet really helps, too.
Pinout.JPG

nice, waiting for writeup :)

Check out my link (the comment before the pin out) to my old “write up”. It’s basically the same thing.

Check out my link (the comment before the pin out) to my old “write up”. It’s basically the same thing.

when I did this there was no answer to up motion was when you held button down, and down on the button moves mirrors up,

2nd time around and here we are again, does anyone have the 2005 wiring pin outs and colors?

I have installed the mirror physically, but not connected yet. (on Sport Trac)
I would not assume wire colors to be correct, go by pin numbers.

depending on what trim of explorer you have the number of pins in the original mirror connector will vary
write down what color and pin number is on the original mirror connector before cutting it off to splice.

I have bought some used mirrors (for the connectors) from an explorer that had heated mirrors and chopped those out and will only need to add a signal wire to it and splice it onto the aviator mirror - this will make it plug and play (after adding a signal wire to the door side connector also)

Now after reading the post you most likely will say I need colors and pinouts...

the info is in the green chart above (personally I wont take colors for gospel - may change between models), but the pin numbers I will

If you have already chopped off the connectors then you will need to find them to confirm.
knowing where pin 1 on a connector is important

Colors changed over the years

I started with pin outs

And to get it all working

At lease working that’s where I ended up is Down and VV

Is there a place to get free pin outs?
$30 to get one seems excessive especially since they don’t work as the pin outs indicate

So I’m thinking 2003to 2005 something changed

Aviator - will need to confirm which side it is mirror/door

Uhvgn84.jpg

Sport Trac - will need to confirm which side it is mirror/door

OAM84cK.jpg

for the explorer I did notice the wiring slightly changes (ground pin(s)) between left and right

...this is sort of difficult at the moment with a broken arm, but should get you in better shape

there is a possibility the motor doesn't function, bench test it (12v system)

as far as I can tell the chart is correct (green one)
make sure mirror commons are tied together (aviator) then connected to explorer wire pin 3

Aviator - will need to confirm which side it is mirror/door

View attachment 319443

Sport Trac - will need to confirm which side it is mirror/door

View attachment 319444
for the explorer I did notice the wiring slightly changes (ground pin(s)) between left and right

...this is sort of difficult at the moment with a broken arm, but should get you in better shape

there is a possibility the motor doesn't function, bench test it (12v system)

as far as I can tell the chart is correct (green one)
make sure mirror commons are tied together (aviator) then connected to explorer wire pin 3

I finally wired up my mirrors, added an extra wire into the explorer connector (pin 2) for indicator lamp, and placed the connector into the mirror as before (plug and play)
The only problem I encountered is that the up/down are reversed when using the knob to adjust the mirror
wonder if pin aviator 1,2 should be tied to pin3 instead of 1.3 and tie aviator pin 3 to pin 1 on sport trac?

Back