Aviator vs. Explorer: Differences

ParkM

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve 1
My car shopping focused on 2 specific 2020 models and trims. For me it was the Aviator Reserve 1 vs. the Explorer Platinum. I knew there were real differences between the cars but I was frustrated that I could not locate anything online that detailed the differences across brands and comprehensively.

That frustration led to me doing something myself that I could use to compare. I have posted it here as a pdf in case it could be of use to anyone looking for this specific comparison. (The source file is Excel and I'm happy to send that to anyone so you can edit or sort it, I just can't figure out how to get the forum's upload utility to accept it. Perhaps another way...? Private message?)

I cannot guarantee this is perfect or accurate. My source documents were the Ford and Lincoln websites. They occasionally use different names to call out the same feature and sometimes didn't list a feature I knew they had. Point being, what you will read is not pure but I think it is reasonably close. I have had it edited by Ford and Lincoln dealers but I expect they missed some thing as well.

There were about 160 features that the websites listed. A yellow highlight will point you to the features that appear to be different from one car to the other.

Happy shopping! Hope this helps somebody.

Attachments

• Expl_Avi_Comp_A.pdf
    60.7 KB · Views: 287

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One thing to keep in mind is that in Canada there really is no Reserve 1. We just have the Reserve which looks to be the Reserve 2. The Premium Technology Package on the Platinum in Canada is a Standard feature, not optional, unfortunately.

Peter

Mark in Maine checking in !

So we are currently trying to do this on the ST vs the Reserve so this would be helpful ! Obviously much different rides but trying to look at the features.

I can modify it on the Ford side if you could email it to me.? So many features to compare. This old ipad isnt figuring out the link. ;-)

If you can....

mark.king789@ (Sp) gee mail dot com

Thanks! Keep the thread posted as your comparison proceeds.

Im sure we are not alone. Huge help. :)

Welcome to the Forum Mark.:wave:
One thing I noticed is that the heated steering wheel is available on the Reserve.

Peter

The trim is much nicer in and out on the Aviator Reserve it appears to me. The ST is really great looking in a meaner way. Both are crazy cars. ST seems more fun. Plan on driving both. Curious to see the comparison and modify it.

The ST stickers around 5 thousand less than the Reserve with similar stuff...but not by a lot really when you get to these type prices. When incentives/rebates start to come along around the 6 mo point we will see how the net numbers work.

I think the Lincoln is worth more...but its hard to ignore the fun factor and mean look of the ST. It is awesome. The warranty on Lincoln is sure better at 4/50k and the 12” screen is horizontal which looks better IMO.

No bad choices here. :)

I went through a similar analysis when I went from my 2013 Explorer Sport. My '13 was a comfortable ride. My wife and I drove a new ST and felt that the ride was more "sport" than we were looking for. We did not drive a Platinum. We wanted to wait to actually see and drive an Aviator. When we did see the Aviator in person, all I can say is WOW! The exterior looks are amazing and the interior is very elegant (we got the Roast interior which is actually more of a saddle tan than shows on the Lincoln website). The dashboard layout is much different, especially on the passenger side and we also like the touchscreen orientation much better. The engine is the same basic one as in the ST so I did not give up any performance. The extra year of warranty is a plus. The 22" wheels are very nice.

I ended up with the Reserve II with the Dynamic Handling and Convenience packages. The air glide suspension is fantastic and the heads-up display is really very nice, one of those conveniences that I don't know how I ever lived without. My Aviator was a little more than $10K over a Platinum and in my opinion is worth it. BTW, in "Normal" mode, the ride is peppy and quite comfortable. In "Excite" mode, well, let's just say, there's your fun!

Good luck!

I went through a similar analysis when I went from my 2013 Explorer Sport. My '13 was a comfortable ride. My wife and I drove a new ST and felt that the ride was more "sport" than we were looking for. We did not drive a Platinum. We wanted to wait to actually see and drive an Aviator. When we did see the Aviator in person, all I can say is WOW! The exterior looks are amazing and the interior is very elegant (we got the Roast interior which is actually more of a saddle tan than shows on the Lincoln website). The dashboard layout is much different, especially on the passenger side and we also like the touchscreen orientation much better. The engine is the same basic one as in the ST so I did not give up any performance. The extra year of warranty is a plus. The 22" wheels are very nice.

I ended up with the Reserve II with the Dynamic Handling and Convenience packages. The air glide suspension is fantastic and the heads-up display is really very nice, one of those conveniences that I don't know how I ever lived without. My Aviator was a little more than $10K over a Platinum and in my opinion is worth it. BTW, in "Normal" mode, the ride is peppy and quite comfortable. In "Excite" mode, well, let's just say, there's your fun!

Good luck!
Thank you. It's great to read great posts about the Aviator!

My car shopping focused on 2 specific 2020 models and trims. For me it was the Aviator Reserve 1 vs. the Explorer Platinum. I knew there were real differences between the cars but I was frustrated that I could not locate anything online that detailed the differences across brands and comprehensively.

That frustration led to me doing something myself that I could use to compare. I have posted it here as a pdf in case it could be of use to anyone looking for this specific comparison. (The source file is Excel and I'm happy to send that to anyone so you can edit or sort it, I just can't figure out how to get the forum's upload utility to accept it. Perhaps another way...? Private message?)

I cannot guarantee this is perfect or accurate. My source documents were the Ford and Lincoln websites. They occasionally use different names to call out the same feature and sometimes didn't list a feature I knew they had. Point being, what you will read is not pure but I think it is reasonably close. I have had it edited by Ford and Lincoln dealers but I expect they missed some thing as well.

There were about 160 features that the websites listed. A yellow highlight will point you to the features that appear to be different from one car to the other.

Happy shopping! Hope this helps somebody.
Does anyone have info on Lincoln dealerships offering aggressive discounts on the Aviator?

I noticed that when checking the PSI requirements on the door pillar of my Aviator that the front is 32 PSI and the rear is 38 PSI. First time I've had a vehicle where the tire pressures are different.

Peter

I noticed that when checking the PSI requirements on the door pillar of my Aviator that the front is 32 PSI and the rear is 38 PSI. First time I've had a vehicle where the tire pressures are different.

Peter

F350 60psi front, 80psi rear. :thumbsup:

Congrats by the way on your Aviator. Hope you have many trouble free miles... or at least 10,000 before you trade it is in 3 years from now.

Yesterday the wife and I back to back test drove a ST then an Aviator (sticker). Hands down the Aviator is hands down a much nicer vehicle. The ride is not as "sporty" as the ST but it is not spongy like our 2016 Platinum I would put it on par or better with our old 2013 sport in performance handling but much more refined and zero harshness. One thing to remember is the Aviator has different suspension than the Explorer. Engine performance was same as ST and most likely slightly better than a 2020 Platinum since it has more power. We went in to this pretty set on getting a ST and just drove the Aviator out of a whim and why not since we were out and about. We are now most likely going to go with the Aviator (30 way adjustable seats by the way are amazing). Especially after looking up pricing and if the Aviator Grand Touring get the estimated $6500ish in Hybrid rebate puts the GT about the same price as a Reserve II, and as my wife put it "so we can get more power for about the same price why would you not?"

To sum up the one we drove was $68000ish MSRP and we felt the difference in price is worth it due to the quality upgrade. Any one looking at a Platinum should really look at the Lincoln and crunch the numbers. Also, remember as pointed out before Lincoln has a better warranty and they have 4YR/50K PICKUPDELIVERY SVC meaning they will come pick up your vehicle for servicing and leave you a loner and bring yours back when they are done. All this I would also make sure any of these new vehicles can be upgraded to sync 4, who wants to buy a new expensive vehicle and it be the most up to date.

Good luck!

Did you test drive the difference between the Air ride and normal? We found the normal suspension not necessarily less sporty than the ST but a lot more refined and less harsh (not that the ST is harsh) but still solid and stable.

Does anyone have info on Lincoln dealerships offering aggressive discounts on the Aviator?
its to hot of a car - HOWEVER, if you are a Vet through Veterans Advantage.com you can get $500 above INVOICE on a Ford or Lincoln!!! Thats how I got mine

Did you test drive the difference between the Air ride and normal? We found the normal suspension not necessarily less sporty than the ST but a lot more refined and less harsh (not that the ST is harsh) but still solid and stable.
We did not do a comparison between the two different suspension set ups. I read as much as I could about the Air Glide and that sort of made my decision. And I have absolutely no complaints. For me, it’s the perfect blend between luxury and sport.

We did not do a comparison between the two different suspension set ups. I read as much as I could about the Air Glide and that sort of made my decision. And I have absolutely no complaints. For me, it’s the perfect blend between luxury and sport.

We were really impressed with the standard suspension but now we are curious about the air ride.

How does the lowering work when parked over some think like a parking curb?

We were really impressed with the standard suspension but now we are curious about the air ride.

How does the lowering work when parked over some think like a parking curb?
Haven’t had any issues with it lowering and have to admit I really like it. It makes it really easy to get into especially for my elderly mother in law. And it looks very cool lowered. Makes it very convenient to load things in the rear as well.

Haven’t had any issues with it lowering and have to admit I really like it. It makes it really easy to get into especially for my elderly mother in law. And it looks very cool lowered. Makes it very convenient to load things in the rear as well.

Yeah we thought it would be nice since my wife is on the shorter side and we have a 4yr old.. Granted that one is a whole other issue of how nice do we want to go just to have car trip French fries dropped in it hahah

Yeah we thought it would be nice since my wife is on the shorter side and we have a 4yr old.. Granted that one is a whole other issue of how nice do we want to go just to have car trip French fries dropped in it hahah
I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. BTW, if you go on Blue Oval forum, you should be able to get someone to give you an x plan (Ford Friends and Family) number. Ford employees want you to buy a Ford product and so they’re happy to give you that number. Right now, that was the best deal I came up with. Along with 2.9% interest.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. BTW, if you go on Blue Oval forum, you should be able to get someone to give you an x plan (Ford Friends and Family) number. Ford employees want you to buy a Ford product and so they’re happy to give you that number. Right now, that was the best deal I came up with. Along with 2.9% interest.

I get Xplan from work but I use zplan from a retired family member it is about 10% off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back