• Register Today It's free!

awd/4wd to 2wd?

njmalibu313

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 5.0 4wd
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone knows if It is possible to convert a 97 5.0 AWD explorer into 2wd, using a tailshaft from a 2wd transmission and driveshaft?

Around 1.5 years ago, i did the manual BW 4406 case swap after my awd case went bad. Well, the other day i was on the highway cruising at 65, when my case suddenly went into neutral after a loud clunk and grind. I managed to coast into a parking lot where I was able to put it into 4wd. However, I am now stuck in low gear no matter what gear i am in on the tc. Ive tried neutral , reverse on the trans, everything , to no avail. I now think it has to do with the internals of the case.

Money is tight, and i dont have the funds to buy another case, so i'd like to find out if it is possible to convert to 2wd without a case, using a tailshaft from a 2wd trans, and some model driveshaft?

Any ideas/suggestions? Thank You

Changing the output shaft to a 2 wheel shaft requires completely disassembling the transmission.

Richie, Thanks for the information. Wasnt thinking about the output shaft, but you are right. I have since put my AWD case back in, and running that for now

Back