AWD and want bigger wheels... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD and want bigger wheels...

Reaction score
City, State
Medicine Hat, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Limited V8AWD
I'm looking at purchasing new wheels for my explorer and when i search for wheels that may fit my truck they only give me a 4x4 and 2wd option no AWD. Curious as to what other explorers have the same bolt pattern, offset and what not... It is a 96 limited with all wheel drive. So i assume its the same as the 4x4's but wanna be sure..
The questions i need answered are:
- What years and models have same wheel specs
- And do the newer limited wheels on a '99 or '00 ex fit perfectly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

explreors except hte very new ones all used a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, they will basically all fit.... the awd application as far as wheels go, is the same as a 4x4 or rwd explorer

Same as rwd ? Doesnt the 4x4's and AWD have hubs? that would require different spacing...

Limited96Canada said:
Same as rwd ? Doesnt the 4x4's and AWD have hubs? that would require different spacing...

Does your's have hubs? No.

'95 and newer did not have hubs in the traditional 4x4 sense.

New Explorers also have the 5X4.5 bolt pattern.

Just make sure the tires are the same size and you'll be good to go!

Limited96Canada said:

yes they do have hubs, but it doesnt matter, the hubs are small enough to clear rims......

it was only the 91-94s with huge hubs that wouldnt always clear and actually, after 94, the lockout portion of the hub was integrated, so the wheel flange is flat and doesnt have a huge thing sticking through the wheel

LAST QUESTION THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR PATIENCE WITH NEWBIES TO X's (not so new to fords), I found these wheels on the net and they are take-off's of the 99 and 00 limited wheels (16 inch) and i was wondering if the limited cap on my 96 (15 inch) wheels would transfer over... '

here is the link for new wheels
capitalwheels.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=2351&cat=2&page=13

this is what current ones look like
capitalwheels.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=2264&cat=&page=1

thanks!

Back