AWD auto to 2WD manual How should I atempt it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD auto to 2WD manual How should I atempt it?

RubySlow

Reaction score
City, State
Pacifica Ca to be S'Pacific
Year, Model & Trim Level
BAYDESTRIAN
I have a 1999 Merc Mounty AWD 5.0

Im already saving for a D.S.S. 331 with 10.5 :1 compression Trick Flow heads, Intake, Chip, SCT Cust Tune, 1.7 rat. rockers. the works....

I might as well change up the drivetrain while Im swappin engines.

My Question is would I be best swapping the front end with another explorer 2wd, Or just get rid of the front diff? not sure

Then gett rid of the 4404 TC, Get rid of the 4R70W..

Then put in a Built T-5 and a clutch assembly from a manual Explorer sport or other V6 Explorer. Custom out the center console to get the Shifter to fit in there.

This is what I plan to do, just not sure how to approach

Its gonna be a street truck so no need to offroad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree. The best way to find all the little parts that you need and never know about until you really need them, is to have another parts truck to take everything from. That's when you find all the little brackets and different length bolts clips etc. For your front end I'd definitely look at how permanent you want this swap to be. If you don't ever want to swap it back, then it might be lighter to install a 2WD front end. But if this is an experiment or just a temporary thing, I'd just pull the front driveshaft out.

you could just swap your transfer case to a part time 4wd case.

I agree. The best way to find all the little parts that you need and never know about until you really need them, is to have another parts truck to take everything from. That's when you find all the little brackets and different length bolts clips etc. For your front end I'd definitely look at how permanent you want this swap to be. If you don't ever want to swap it back, then it might be lighter to install a 2WD front end. But if this is an experiment or just a temporary thing, I'd just pull the front driveshaft out.

To swap to 2wd all you need is 2wd spindles, 2wd rotors and all the bearing assembleys.

Now with the awd t-case and the front d-shaft out you need to use the parking brake or it will creep slowly in park.

I have not seen a manual tranny swap in a 302 explorer/mounty but it seems like you have an idea to a good start.

Back