AWD front axle locked in | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD front axle locked in

sqrodgers

Reaction score
'97 Explorer AWD, 5.0, recent hum from front axle. When lifted, axle is engaged and hot after only 4 or 5 miles. Chilton book says there is a vacuum disconnect axle lock instead of auto hubs. Cannot find this is on the axle. The diagram is an exploded view but not how it is connected to the axle.

Any thoughts of how this could be engaged? Vacuum lock or computer?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are all of your tires the same brand with no more than 1/4" difference between any of them? Vacuum engaged(passenger side). Check gear-oil condition and level. Hope this helps some.

awd

hi if your explorer is a 5.0L it is awd the front is always on there is no dissconnect.you can call me at 610-534-2299 thanks,karl

Correct, thinking of the v6. Disregard my second sentence and check the other two. Tire height difference will ruin your TC. Read about it at www.jasperengines.com and see how it will void their warranty. Thanks

viscious coupling might be failing.

dude , i have the 97 limited awd and am having the same problem. if you find the solution..plz let me know

what i have done so far:

changed tires, relaignment, changed oils all around, reajusted tortion bars.

Back