AWD in the sand, Planning a trip to Cape Hatteras | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD in the sand, Planning a trip to Cape Hatteras

whdahel

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mountaineer <--- 5.0
Hello every body, I am planning a trip to Cape Hatteras NC in May, and plan on doing some surf fishing while I am down there:thumbsup: . Any ways I have decided that I am going to install a Trany cooler and possibly a temp gauge. I have a set of 235x75x15 All terrains (most aggresive tred pattern I could find in A/T) . I plan on being prepared, straps, water, jack, some wood planks, shovel. (friends always say I take to much on trips) . I also plan on airing down the tires. My question is ; will I have any probs with my vehicle being AWD as opposed to 4x4 being that I wont have Low? I have had the mountianeer in some mudd and deep water and never had much of an issue. Will the AWD do the job? (I think it should). Thanks to all that respond.

Oh by the way, Now that I have found this fourm I am on here all the time. My wife says I am spending to much time on the computer!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should be OK just remember momentum helps in sand, and never drive below the high tide mark.

Your wife is wrong hahahaha if it keeps you from getting stuck then it was well worth it!

I say take the tires down to 14 psi (lower if you dare, I run 10 off road but big tires on small rims wont lose a bead so easy)
and keep your foot on the skinny pedal!

should I have any probs starting up in the sand? any tips or pointers other than stay away from high tide line. I am so pumped, I am really looking forward to this.

it is quite possible if you stop in deep sand you wont be able to get moving again.
The best advice is once you start digging in STOP try airing down more and digging out before you dig deeper holes for your tires.

A floor jack with a large square wood base may prove very helpful
Also something to put under the tires if you do get stuck, like more wood or metal sand ramps hahaha

You will probably be fine. Having tow points front and back should be required too in case you do get stuck and need a pull

thanks, I am working on figguring out where I am going to mout some hooks on the front. Hopefully I will be done in a few weeks. I think I am going to make a front hitch, or somthing similar.

re

i take mine on the beach 30 times a year. its fantastic. deep sand too. As the same with any 4x4, start slow, stop slow, dont spin em, and air down to minimum 16 psi. dont get too close to the water, have a couple cans of fix-a-flat, a board, shovel, tow strap just in case. i had an f-250 and a 96 bronco, my 2000 awd merc is better than both on the beach, I'm serious. i have 16's too, that helps. but you will be fine, i guarantee. Use low gear.

i have tow hooks on my frame mounted brush guard. not the perfect tow hook deal, but its strong enough

the all terrains will actually work against you in deep sand, they "saw" in. more streety the better believe it or not. but you air down, youll be fine. i have used goodyear RTS forever, but I now use Bridgstone Duelers HL's.

he doesnt have low gear

you have a brush gaurd on your mountianeer? Who makes it? when I looked for 1 a few years ago I was only able to find a bull bar or somthing. all the brush gaurds where for the X's. do alot of the beach runners still use CB's? I am going to put mine in for the trip down.

re

I didnt mean low range, I meant 1st gear.... "1"

My brushguard is Aries brand, for an Explorer. Had to make a 2 inch notch on the airdam, but otherwise a perfect fit. Its pretty chunky. mounts to the frame and the rear / back of the bumper.

There are guys who use CB's where I fish, I dont personally. You could prob listen to some good fishing chatter or get local info. might be a good idea as you would be new to the area

It is also a good idea to check the yellow pages before you go out on the sand and keep the phone numbers of the wrecker companies that do beach recoveries. Also keep at least $100 cash with you money talks if you need help.

The sand at Hatteras tends to be soft. I have had my X in it with stock tires without getting stuck. It is a good idea to hook up with a patner if you can find one. Stay off the dunes and out of any bird breeding areas. If you get stuck remember straight front wheels, spinning is sinking, if stuck digging helps. A little water on the sand will help pack it. Have fun, sand is a lot of fun. One last thing, open alchol containers while driving are a no-no, and is strickly enforced, when not driving it is OK.

i drive on the beach all the time, hatteras and Assateague island, anyway you should have no problem, when you park back over the tracks u just made several times to pack the sand and you will be good to go, if you feel like your digging down, and losing momentum, get out and stick 4 pieces of wood under your tires in the front if you are going forward or behind the tires if you are going in reverse. carry a shovel also along with wood, jack, tow strap, tire plug kit, spare valve stems also. I have only gotten stuck twice in 10 years, once in my 96 for pulling someone else out, and once because i did not let tire pressure out with 900 pounds of fishing gear, wood, coolers, and 4 passengers. all because the air pumps were out of order. if you do get stuck do not keep tryin to muscle your way out, just get out and start digging place wood under your tires and go. also do not stop in soft sand. hope this helps.

and just to clarify... dont drive too close tot he water but also stay away from the really loose powdery sand as much as possible.

I drove my Mitsubishi Eclipse down the beach on Oacracoke Island just last week, im running front wheel drive lowered with 17" rims...
OBXtrip023.jpg

just keep moving.

an Eclipse..... I would be afaraid of getting it stuck. Cool though.
did you take any pics?

not of the car on the beach cause i dont like to chance it by stopping...

i got all kinds of pics of lighthouses and such though.

I used to go down there as a kid for family vacation, and have always wanted to run the beach. Now I will finally get my chance.

when you get out to the point take some pictures. It is hard to explain to people without pictures. Depending on surf condition is is really somthing special to see.

Anyone taken a third gen on the beach? I am curious about how well mine will handle it. It is a 4x4 so it should be fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used to take my AWD 5.0 Mountaineer on the Cape Cod sand. She was fine... I aired down to about 12psi, never had a problem. Just watch out for the incoming tide, and respect any no-travel zones/wildlife/erosion control areas.

Back