AWD issue and Question(help me)

Towarscke

Reaction score
City, State
Istanbul
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer V8 EB
I have 96 5.0l EddieBauer AWD. about in 98.000miles
Like any AWD, I don't have switch for H/L 4x4 on center console.

In Turkey, We have to go for a regular checks every 2 years periods; so they are able to know that it is fit for government traffic regulations. They are checking lights, brakes, seatbelts and many other things.

I told them it is AWD, please check breaks by using all wheel on roller.
as in first check, they put my vehicle on roller but just front wheels to check breaks, and then they put rear wheels on roller to check brakes. I got some noise from my vehicle and I informed the authority.

They told me that " it is not an issue.. There is nothing to worry about.."

Finally, I have a crunchy sound under my car and when I push pedal to accelerate, something hitting my front wheels(like shaft jumping gears)

I went back to the station and informed authority again and they said that "this is an old car; it is not related or occured by us"

I went Ford for check at Ford Service. Ford told me that "something in front transfer case seems broken and shafts are a bit loose.(having gaps).

Could I harm my car someway to have this conclusion? I mean that "is a driver able to break inside of transfer case?"

I need an info, how it can be possible in a trip while 4 wheels turning on road..
I may need offical letter to prove. Otherwise I need to pay 4000dolar for transfer case and new front/rear shafts.

Sorry if I have bad language.

IMAG0898.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. If the inspection station used a 2 wheel roller to test the drives and brakes, they may have caused severe damage to the transfer case, drive lines, and possibly front cv axle shafts.

All 4 wheels must be on rollers for any type of dynamometer testing. Your service center should be well aware of this. For them to deny fault is complete incompetence.

In fact, just a variance of tire diameter will cause issues and possibly damage. All 4 wheels must rotate at same speed. Period.

Yes. If the inspection station used a 2 wheel roller to test the drives and brakes, they may have caused severe damage to the transfer case, drive lines, and possibly front cv axle shafts.

All 4 wheels must be on rollers for any type of dynamometer testing. Your service center should be well aware of this. For them to deny fault is complete incompetence.
In fact, just a variance of tire diameter will cause issues and possibly damage. All 4 wheels must rotate at same speed. Period.

I am trying to reach Ford Motor Company Service authorities because consulting chat service is not working for my country.
I need legal documentation, and official letter to prove my case, if I sue our inspection station.

Orginal Ford service (in Turkey)denied my request to have such documentation.

There is a lot of information regarding 2 wheel towing, and tire size mismatch in the owners manual.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/96expog1e.pdf

This basically states all 4 wheels have to rotate. However, I still think any competent shop should know an awd vehicle needs an awd dyno. Any All wheel drive vehicle needs to be tested on an all wheel 2 roller dyno. All wheel drive vehicles do not have the ability to drive in a 2wd mode. This applies to all makes of vehicles with AWD which have no center differential disconnect.

There is a lot of information regarding 2 wheel towing, and tire size mismatch in the owners manual.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/96expog1e.pdf

This basically states all 4 wheels have to rotate. However, I still think any competent shop should know an awd vehicle needs an awd dyno. Any All wheel drive vehicle needs to be tested on an all wheel 2 roller dyno. All wheel drive vehicles do not have the ability to drive in a 2wd mode. This applies to all makes of vehicles with AWD which have no center differential disconnect.

Yes I am aware, I had it too but this is not a legal documentation. They believe that it is automatically disables itself on such tests and this is the way.
So a legal document which is written stamped and signed, can be fix my issue..

The inspection station ruined your transfer case. You can't test an AWD system with a single roller machine.

This is accurate. It is common knowledge to automotive experts that an AWD transfer case absolutely always drives both driveshafts(front and rear). By definition AWD means all wheels are driven all of the time. It is also very well known that having different sized tires on the front versus rear will ruin an AWD transfer case. People are more often allowing their tires to wear unevenly, and the slight difference is creating transfer case problems. These 96-01 TC's cost about $900 for a rebuilt unit, the normal prices I have seen.

The front axles and the drive shafts will not be harmed by what that testing facility evidently did, holding one pair of wheels stopped while forcing the other pair to spin. The AWD transfer case should be the only thing damaged. The viscous clutch inside is a few hundred dollar part, and the various other bearings etc, should be under $200. But it isn't a common rebuild, most people source them from a rebuilder. Your 96 AWD is a BW4404 I believe, it's the version with a speed sensor(VSS) on the back of it.

It does not take long to ruin the transfer case if one pair of wheels are being forced to roll, while the other two are not spinning. That should create a lot of resistance as the transfer case attempts to spin the tires all at the same speed. The result is a bad rough feeling and eventually excess heat in the viscous clutch will wear it out, the TC fluid will be completely black as a symptom of that wear.

I suggest researching "AWD" or "AWD transfer case" in general. There will be countless results which all support these facts. There should be something among the results which will be official enough to prove your case. Good luck.

They believe that I did it. Let see what happens. I still need a legal documentation about "User can not harm/break transfer case on daily basis on road"

So I have in hand;
1 Inspection Service procedure.Written as legal information
2 Cam record about what they did clearly
3 Information from you guys and many thanks(This is kind of a record)

If they will not pay for it, I will go for a court. (might take 1 year without driving my car)
I hope an expert who our government will bring for inspection, has knowledge about these American Versions. Otherwise I might be f... word.
If Ford can give me the legal official documentation, there will be no need for expert inspection

You will never get legal documentation saying you can’t break the AWD during normal usage.

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that doing what they did overheated the viscous coupling in the t-case and ruined it.

I would think your best resource would be to get something in writing from Ford.

You also wouldn’t have to go a year without your car. You get it fixed, and documentation from the garage about what caused it, and they pay for damages.

You also wouldn’t have to go a year without your car. You get it fixed, and documentation from the garage about what caused it, and they pay for damages.

Orginal Ford Service is not giving me any documentation.Ford service is just giving me the receipt.(without "how damages occured" or "who did it") If I get my car fixed, government expert can't tell anything about the issue. It shouldn't be fixed to see the situation.
They will not pay for damages, If I don't prove anything.

So basically, I am going to sue them to court first and then I can request government expert to provide such documentation.
I hope government expert can prepare a report about this American version car. Otherwise I need to pay this fix + court expenses + expertise fee + advocate fee..

This is rare car in Turkey.. For example, I saw only one 96 5.0 EB AWD in my life and I bought it.
I saw 4liter Explorers and non of them was AWD. And I am sure that my car is the one and only "DUBdesign" tagged car in Turkey.

In the U.S. to win a case like this you would need to get it fixed and provide documentation of what broke with an expert opinion as to why/how it broke, but with a 22+ year old vehicle even that might not help you. Unfortunately, you're probably screwed. Good luck.

It has nothing to do with American cars. All sorts of AWD cars have viscous couplings. They all use the same principle.

Good time for a 4406 swap?

How long has the rig been in Turkey? It's a 96'. Inspection every two years...

It has nothing to do with American cars. All sorts of AWD cars have viscous couplings. They all use the same principle.
Basiclly, it is comming from F150. It is not seen in Turkey.

Good time for a 4406 swap?

Yes can be.. $4000 for complete fix. If I loose, I need to pay for court time+ expertise and this fix. If I loose, I can't afford such kind of money. I need to sell it to pay..

I have 96 5.0l EddieBauer AWD. about in 98.000miles

Finally, I have a crunchy sound under my car and when I push pedal to accelerate, something hitting my front wheels(like shaft jumping gears)

I went Ford for check at Ford Service. Ford told me that "something in front transfer case seems broken and shafts are a bit loose.(having gaps).

Could I harm my car someway to have this conclusion? I mean that "is a driver able to break inside of transfer case?"

I need an info, how it can be possible in a trip while 4 wheels turning on road..
I may need offical letter to prove. Otherwise I need to pay 4000dolar for transfer case and new front/rear shafts.

Sorry if I have bad language.

View attachment 156823

It sounds like you're talking about the front diff or CV axles and not the transfer case. There's no gear on gear parts that would "crunch" in a 4404 and if it did you would hear it under the truck and not in front by the wheels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the CV's. I'd think that's the weakest link between the wheels and transfer case. If they are originals with 100,000 miles on them I can see how one or both could snap on a 2wd dyno with power still going to the front diff.

Back