• Register Today It's free!

AWD Problem

Reaction score
City, State
Englewood, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4.0L SOHC 4x4
AWD problems

I have a 1999 AWD explorer and I toke it mudding and now the AWD is not working the 4x4 high and 4x4 low lights light up but the wheels do not spin. The other day I had it off the ground to rotate the tires and while I had the tires off I started it and tested the AWD and the tires were spinning I was wondering if anyone had any idea what would be wrong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1999 AWD explorer and I toke it mudding and now the AWD is not working the 4x4 high and 4x4 low lights light up but the wheels do not spin. The other day I had it off the ground to rotate the tires and while I had the tires off I started it and tested the AWD and the tires were spinning I was wondering if anyone had any idea what would be wrong.

Just a FYI, Its not AWD, its Auto 4wd, a big difference. AWD is a full time, it has no lights that activate on the dash, nor a switch on the radio bezel.

Search for "shift motor" and read a bit you may find your solution.

AWD explorers do not have 4hi or 4lo lights or switches. If you have those lights and a switch, you have 4 wheel drive. Totally different critter. Truck will drive? you just don't think the front wheels are pulling when in 4x4? may be transfer case, or front drive shafts. Truck won't drive at all? tranny, or transfer case. If when you put it in the air and started it and put it in gear, you had at least one wheel at each end turning while in 4x4, thats correct. all 4 wheels are NOT driven in 4x4. UNLESS you add a locking differential of some type.

well yesterday I was messing around in the snow and my friend told me that my front wheels were not spinning and I had it in 4x4 auto

Back