AWD, removed front DS now i have a vibration?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD, removed front DS now i have a vibration??

Omgrtfa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bower
Hey all, i have a '97 5.0L AWD Ex., my front drive shaft failed on me a week ago, i removed it and ordered a new one.. i've been driving it in the mean time and i've noticed a weird vibration that seems associated with wheel speed in the front. (sort of like a thump thump thump) some times it hits at around 30, but all the time it happens at 50-55.

i've looked at tires and they seem fine, the cv boots are intact too. i thought i might have lost a wheel weight and i plan on eliminating the tire ASAP but the steering wheel never shakes side to side, ANY ideas? could i have caused damage by driving a week without a front drive shaft?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not likely to have caused damage in a week.
Might be a wheel hub/bearing on its way out, wheel weight as you said, and might be transfercase related as I have a noise similar to your description but mine seems to subside above 40MPH, so you may not have that trouble. Maybe something is amiss in your front diff as well.
Heres to hoping its a wheel weight or something easy

I think that I have read here on this forum that driving without the front driveshaft can cause damage to the 5.0 AWD transfer case.Also,I think that your truck can posssibly roll away when parked if the d-shaft is out.Be careful parking on a hill and always set the parking brake while the shaft is missing.

I have also heard from forum members that have driven around for months without the front driveshaft in with no issues whatsoever (other than the infamous drift). Perhaps those that have had issues had the issue before removing the front driveshaft??
By the way, if your truck does not "drift" when in park with the front driveshaft removed, your viscous coupling is gone in the transfercase, which could be the source of the noise

hmmmm sounds like i .. need to roll it down a hill? hahahah

hmmmm sounds like i .. need to roll it down a hill? hahahah

Welll, you could put it in park on a hill. Just don't get out. If it "creeps" down the hill a little, your all set.
Keep in mind that you should be setting your e-brake when the front shaft is out.

well i tried pushing it to no avail course im no strong man. but it didnt move.. what kinda symptoms happen with a failed viscous coupling? what doesnt work anymore?

I'm not the strongest guy either by any means but I was able to move the vehicle with the front drive shaft removed. Without a proper working coupling, your awd is virtually trashed.

I'm not the strongest guy either by any means but I was able to move the vehicle with the front drive shaft removed. Without a proper working coupling, your awd is virtually trashed.

Yep, what he said. Although I never tried to push my truck, I know my transfercase is junk. Thats why I am waiting to gather some extra $$ to do the BW4406 swap.

The viscous coupling is basically what allows the front and rears to turn at different speeds, such as sharp corners and whatnot. If it is seized, it could cause the chain (that wraps around it to power the front) to stretch and/or break.

so,... basically.. when i get my DS tuesday and install it.. if the awd still works im good? here's hoping.. i might go park my truck on a hill in the mean time lol..

If you blew the shaft while driving you could have caused tcase issues and front diff issues or just one, etc. Where did you order the shaft from? If it's a cardone DS I'd return it if I were you.

What gets me is why you are replacing the driveshaft first? Generally that would be last place to suspect a problem. If the driveshaft was bad, what caused it to fail?????

The AWD front DS is of poor design and fails due to the CV joint. But yeah, when that went it definitely could have smashed something up.

Yup. That's why I say don't go w/ the rebuilt ones. I don't even care if you don't get it from me..go to the dealer, whatever. But Anyone w/ AWD really should not get a rebuilt shaft.

problem fixed, right front wheel bearing hub. i replaced the drive shaft cause it was a baby rattle, i.e. masive failure... and i ordered it from you lol.

typical case of 2 unrelated problems happening at the same time.

problem fixed, right front wheel bearing hub. i replaced the drive shaft cause it was a baby rattle, i.e. masive failure... and i ordered it from you lol.

typical case of 2 unrelated problems happening at the same time.

No, I know..I just meant for anyone reading this. If they were reading this and having prop shaft issues. :)

Back