AWD Tire Rotation/Size Is this a Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD Tire Rotation/Size Is this a Problem

manaen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clear Spring, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Xterra Pro-4X
Here is a quote from Another Thread You can see it here Click HERE

AWD POWER TRANSFER UNIT FAILURE
Failure to rotate the tires results in uneven front-to-rear tire wear. The variation in the tire circumference from front to rear results in an extreme heat build-up in the PTU. The condition occurs as a result of the continuous variation in rotational speeds and torque transfer between the front and rear drive components. A tire circumference variation as minimal as 0.5% can overhead the PTU. Chrysler recommends a tire rotation at 7,500 miles or less. Watch the air pressure from front to rear, as it can promote the same. When a tire replacement is necessary, chrysler recommends replacing all four tires with a matched set from the same manufacturer. At a cost of $1,200 for a PTU, a little tire maitenance makes good sense.
-Drew

So my questions is, how much of a problem is this with the explorers AWD system. I am looking at getting a 99 Mounty V8 AWD and would like to put on some Goodrich A/T 31's from a Ranger. These tire have over half thier life left and have been rotated many times. However since the ranger is 4x4 or RWD the tires could have worn slightly since my last rotation making the circumference a little different. I will measure them when I have a chance (it's snowing now) but should I just keep the crappy tires the mounty has and wait to put 4 new goodrich on there? What is that .5% tolerance stand for explorers as well, because by my calculations that is only about .155" or little less than 5/32"

Am I just being paranoid or is there something to worry about here?

too paranoid you'll be fine

too paranoid you'll be fine

What Jaime said.

Plus your example was a Chrysler produdct:eek:

Ford=:thumbsup:
Chrysler =:fart:

You must be having a Blck Widow moment:D

What Jaime said.

Plus your example was a Chrysler produdct:eek:

Ford=:thumbsup:
Chrysler =:fart:

You must be having a Blck Widow moment:D

Totally agree, in fact I was offered a Jeep GC for a rediculous price but I turned it down for that reason.

Believe me I have had black widow moments ever since the event took place. Usually when the tears start to well up I rip out a few chest hairs and watch a hunting show to bury the phsycosis. and I still get a twinge in my eye :( every Christmas when I hear the lyrics "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire"

Back