• Register Today It's free!

AWD to 2WD conversion??

Big6ft6

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 AWD
O.k. I might be over reacting here, but I'm having potential front drive-train problems with my 01 limited. I really bought this to be a tow vehicle anyway....

How crazy would it be to just get rid of all that crap under there, keep the limited slip rear end and just use a 2wd drive shaft to the rear axle straight out of the tranny?

I'm not familiar with 4WD systems, does the tranny in a AWD/4wd truck need to be used with a transfer case? Or once the trransfer case is removed can it be converted to a normal rear output transmission?

There is no simple way to convert to 2wd. It would be easier to buy a 2wd truck. Although, you can just swap in a 2wd tranny. Your truck wont know the difference. Though you will still have the front diff in there up front.

I assume you have the V8 AWD combo. You can swap to a manual shift transfer case and get selectable 4wd and 4low with a true 2wd.

I'm still not clear on what your front end issues are, but I wouldn't scrap the AWD or 4wd system just because of some issues.

I'm still not clear on what your front end issues are, but I wouldn't scrap the AWD or 4wd system just because of some issues.

Yeah, I'm sure between time and money it would cost me more than I paid for the truck. I'm just at my witts end, if you want details check out my other post tonight "please help before I go crazy!"

I've notived you've (mountaineer green) had some good info for people on here trying to hunt down causes for front end noises. I basically have a non-hub front wheel noise that I'm starting to worry is a bearing in the front differential.

I just bought this truck and have spent $1000+ in repairs I wasn't expecting already so I'm ready to firebomb the thing, what make me angy is I could've avoided a lot of problems doing the repairs myself.

There is a ton of how to guides for some of the basic stuff you've had done on here. Hub replacement, ball joints, front end work is all done relatively easy with basic tools. Heck, you could even buy your own tools and do your own work and still save money.

Look for the Useful threads sub forum, and browse through the threads, there is a ton of useful info there.

Ive found your other thread, don't give up- we can find your problem.

Back