• Register Today It's free!

AWD to 2WD

biff9703

Reaction score
City, State
Sherrills Ford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer AWD 347 V8
I've decided I don't need AWD in North Carolina. I removed the front diff, axle shafts and front drive shaft. I have rebuilt a 2wd 4r70w with updates that I will install next. My question is: is it all right to use the front hubs and bearings without the axle shafts in place? Also,Wondering what the value of the awd pieces might be. 130k miles, and I will rebuild the trans with the necessary updates before the sale. Thanks for any insight you may have. Biff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Without the axle nut, my hunch is those hubs can come apart. I'd suggest you hit the JY and pick up knuckles and related parts from a 2WD rig. But get someone else to drive you over.

The 4wd hubs absolutely require a shaft and axle nut. Otherwise they will separate resulting in the wheels coming off the truck while driving. Until you swap out for spindles and new bearings/rotors, you can simply split the half axles and run the outer stub with nut in the existing hubs.

Thanks, Romeoville, That's what I will do until I get the 2wd hardware. I really appreciate your help.

Well, I tried last night to remove the axle stub from the halfshaft. I can't get it to come apart. I got the inner snap ring off, but it won't pull apart. Any suggestions? Again, thanks for any help. Biff

The half shafts do not pull apart by design. Instead once you have the boot slipped out of the way, flex the joint to 45 degrees or more to one side and rotate slowly. The bearing will slip out. Continue in a circle until all the bearing are out then pull the shafts apart.

The hubs will not come appart with the shafts and nut out the big but is to keep the shaft in place with out it they would slide in the splines and wear them out let alone cause a boned. So yes you can run the 4x4 hubs without the shafts and nut I did it for 4 years on my v6 ex.

Wow! That saves me a lot of work! Thanks!

I wouldn't. The only thing holding that hub on is a press fit inside the bearing. You should be able to separate the CVs.

I have a large automatic power hacksaw that will cut thru the cv's and keep the shaft intact where it will hold everything together. I will do it that way, since there is some risk of a failure. Not interested in a front wheel failure on the road far from home. It would never happen as I pulled into the driveway. Thanks to all for your input!

Many cars use a press fit hub with no center nut. It takes a lot to come appart but it's up to you. Besides the center nut and shaft don't hold it togeather at all if you look at it closer it just holds the axle to the hub. When we pull them appart at work it takes a good press and the bearrings explode in the prosses lol and they have clip rings in there as well to hold it togeather.

Many cars use a press fit hub with no center nut. It takes a lot to come appart but it's up to you. Besides the center nut and shaft don't hold it togeather at all if you look at it closer it just holds the axle to the hub. When we pull them appart at work it takes a good press and the bearrings explode in the prosses lol and they have clip rings in there as well to hold it togeather.

Well let's just say that the #1 cause of premature hub-bearing failure on these trucks is improperly torqued axle nuts. Spec is around 165 foot pounds, which is a lot of torque. If that bearing was all well and good by itself without needing to be held fast by the axle nut and shaft then that heavy torque value would be completely unneeded since as noted the axle is splined to turn the hub. There have been plenty of posts over the years of what happens when a hub separates and I can assure you that it is not cool to have a tire fling off the truck on the road.

I just love the guys who claim the nut is needed to keep the hub together.

Take a look at the 3rd gen hubs.

They are the same type as the 2nd gen.

Ford used the same hub on the 3rd gen whether it is 2wd or 4wd.

My parents have 2 3rd gen Mounties, both 2wd. I changed the hubs on my dads 04 2wd and they are the same part number as the 4wd.

They are identical in design to the 2nd gen 4wd hubs.

And get this, No axle or nut, PERIOD.

The nut and 165 lbs of torque is used to keep the axle from walking back and forth, NOT to hold the hub together.

MT

I just love the guys who claim the nut is needed to keep the hub together.

Take a look at the 3rd gen hubs.

They are the same type as the 2nd gen.

Ford used the same hub on the 3rd gen whether it is 2wd or 4wd.

My parents have 2 3rd gen Mounties, both 2wd. I changed the hubs on my dads 04 2wd and they are the same part number as the 4wd.

They are identical in design to the 2nd gen 4wd hubs.

And get this, No axle or nut, PERIOD.

The nut and 165 lbs of torque is used to keep the axle from walking back and forth, NOT to hold the hub together.

MT

thank you!!

I've bin running 4x4 hubs on my 2wd ex for years now with no problem,I put them on with plans for a 4wd conversion just need a front axle now.

96ex5.0, I have a front diff with 3.73's in great shape available, but the distance may be too much. I would love to sell it with the rest of the pieces I removed, but I will probably end up parting the stuff out separately. Thanks all for your input!

That would be nice but I need 4.10 gears for all my stuff.

Back