AWD to A4WD transfer case swap question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD to A4WD transfer case swap question

smcmoran

Reaction score
City, State
Medford, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited
I have a 2000 explorer limited with V8, AWD and limited slip read. It has the shackle, add a leaf and TT lift with 31's. After recently getting stuck and seeing how poor the Viscous coupled transfer case can be in s tricky situation, I started thinking about swaping for an automatic shift 4wd, 4405 transfer case. The wiring appears to be in the harness and there are a few of those cases available.

When I search here I get all the 4406 manual shift swaps. Not sure I want to go to that yet. I was curious if anyone has swapped to the 4405 and wired in the 4wd switch? How does it work and is it worth it?

Thanks
Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My bet is that the wiring might be there but unless you swap to the V6 ECU with A4WD it wouldn't actually work. And running a V8 with a V6 ECU would cause a couple other problems.

Just go with the manual shift. I hated my a4wd transfer case when I had it. I did the brown wire mod on my a Expedition to effectively eliminate it.

4405 does not fit on the v8 trans,, so 4406 is the option,,,

I have a 2000 explorer limited with V8, AWD and limited slip read. It has the shackle, add a leaf and TT lift with 31's. After recently getting stuck and seeing how poor the Viscous coupled transfer case can be in s tricky situation, I started thinking about swaping for an automatic shift 4wd, 4405 transfer case. The wiring appears to be in the harness and there are a few of those cases available.

When I search here I get all the 4406 manual shift swaps. Not sure I want to go to that yet. I was curious if anyone has swapped to the 4405 and wired in the 4wd switch? How does it work and is it worth it?

Thanks
Scott

Welcome Scott, and what you may want is the BW 4406 TOD transfer case. There are a couple of threads here documenting that swap in detail, the best is the first one from about ten years back(Aaron's green 98 Mountaineer).

The BW 4406 comes in two versions, the TOD version has the shift motor on the back and functions like the BW 4405, but it's stronger. The Navigator used that TC, as did the Expedition in the early models. I have a 98 Navigator TC to install some day, and I hope to do the same thing for my 99 mail truck.

The AWD 302 Explorers have most of the needed wiring to run the TOD shifting. You will need the 4WD modules(TOD/GEM/4WD), and they plug right in, but you will have to add a couple of other main wires(power I believe in the dash wiring), plus the shift wiring going under the floor. Those wires will be the only harder inside work. The conversion outside of the TC itself is just like the manual BW 4406 swap, besides the shift linkage, and having to use a shorter gas tank. You can use the same 4WD radio bezel with the switch on it, from 98-01 trucks.

The swap to a BW 4406 TOD has been done a few times successfully by members here, it's just rare to see. Regards,

If you want to swap to the electric shift 4406 I believe you have to go to the smaller (sport) fuel tank to clear the actuator

you need a GEM from a v6 , and it will fit with your tank just look at mine , its the front tank mount which you have to modify for the 4406 anyway ,

I think in a Sport the shift motor will fit with that stock short gas tank. In the 4dr though the tank is much longer and the shift motor goes where the tank bracket is.

Thanks All,

Appreciate the input and suggestions. I think I want to try the 4406 TOD swap. Do you have any links to the details or threads of anyone doing that swap?

the area is the same from two door to four door at least the space we are talking about, but i guess if you have a tank from a sport and dont mind less capacity its one way to go , but i promiss you can make it fit with the original tank like i did , although i will say im planning to pull it back out and put the manual 4406 in , the tod is annoying even with the brown wire mod

Yes mine is a 4dr limited. But if I go with the 4406 TOD then I need the shorter tank. From what I'm hearing, if I want to do the A4WD swap tp the 4406 TOD I need:
  • BW4406 TOD
  • the 4wd modules(have to look that up
  • new radio bezel with 4wd switch
  • sport gas tank
  • some wiring and a weekend....anything I forgot?
If I go the 4406 Manual route, I need:
  • BW4406 with shifter and linkage from an f150?
  • drive shafts?
  • anything I'm forgetting here?
thanks all!

I would assume you'd need drive shafts for either swap.

Yes the driveshafts are gonna be the same for either version of the 4406

But the drive shafts that I have are not going to work for anything? Guess I'll start reviewing the posts. Does anyone know of a specific post with the 4406 TOD swap(and possibly specs) Its getting tough to find the TOD TC

But the drive shafts that I have are not going to work for anything? Guess I'll start reviewing the posts. Does anyone know of a specific post with the 4406 TOD swap(and possibly specs) Its getting tough to find the TOD TC

Here you are Scott, I dug around and found the two main threads you will need. The first is Aaron's thread for his 97 Mounty, which explains 99% of what is needed. The second is from stadX2 with his 98 Limited and using a 4405 I believe. That thread explains the special extra wires you will need to add, hopefully that's all it takes.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ther-t-cases-to-mount-to-the-v8-thread.97181/

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/stadx2s-awd-to-control-trac-4wd.85487/

WILL THE 4406 SWAP WORK ON MY 1999 4.0 V6?
IM WANTING TO INSTALL A MANUAL TRANSFER AND AM DOING RESEARCH FOR MY FITMENT.

Back