AWD to part time... will this t-case work? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD to part time... will this t-case work?

Reaction score
City, State
In the Middle
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Ranger 5.0
Hey all, I plan to SAS my '97 5.0 AWD and swap in a part time t-case. I want the lever mounted through the floor, not push button. I found a t-case in a '92 Explorer with a 4.0 and automatic transmission.

Will this t-case work for my swap? If not, what year/model vehicle should I look at to source a t-case that will work? I've read about which t-cases have been used, but I don't know what they came from.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That model will not work.

Search for "4406" -- which is the model number of the Borg Warner transfer case that will work.

Thanks IZwack. I should have figured it was just too simple to take one from an Explorer. Now the junkyard searching begins for a 4406.

Thanks, I'll search for his thread.

Yes, you need the manual BW4406, but you need to match the speed sensor to yours. Meaning check to find out if you have a speed sensor in the back of your AWD TC. If you do not(Ford changed them in mid 1997), then you can use any of those manual BW4406's through about 2002, maybe others.

If you have a speed sensor, then you must find a TC with the same sensor used in the back of the case. There were about four BW4406 units, basically three electronic versions, and the manual type. But the speed sensor issue changed in them early on also. Start by finding out which AWD TC you have. Good luck,

Thanks for the tip Don. I do remember seeing a VSS on the transfer case output quite some time ago when I was under there, and another sensor on the rear differential housing... I'm guessing for the ABS? (I think it's for the ABS, but it was quite some time ago when I looked it up.)

Anyway, I'm guessing this makes my search slightly more difficult now.

Yes, sorry about that, the early 96/97 trucks have a few odd disadvantages like that.

Back