• Register Today It's free!

AWD transmission

tmikes

Reaction score
City, State
modesto,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 mercury mountainner V8
would a 98 5.0L V8 AWD Mountaineer transmission work with my 97 5.0L V8 RWD Mountaineer and if so will it be direct fit or what will need to be done

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, tail pieces are not the same length. Complete trans disassembly needed to replace parts.

Will a 96 Explorer 4.9L V8 OHV 16V 2WD be direct fit or what will need to be done ?

Will a 96 Explorer 4.9L V8 OHV 16V 2WD be direct fit or what will need to be done ?

If you are meaning one year earlier model than what you have and I think the answer is no, while I think it is a direct mechanical fit however there are wiring differences. You probably will have better luck in the transmission section of the forum to see if someone can help you convert the 96 to the 97 wiring.

If it were me, I would try to find a wrecked 97 5.0 2wd that looks like the trans was in good shape, all I could do is check to see if the fluid looked reasonable and look to see if it had been used for towing, and pull and replace or get someone to do it for you. The 4R70Ws are very reliable so I think the chances of a good one off a lower mileage wreck might be pretty good.

Ok thanks for the info not too many 2WD around here just a lot of AWD the 96 had 210000miles on it so im just going wait for a low miles one to pop up but Im a having a hard time get to the trans dipstick bolt off my 97

Back