• Register Today It's free!

AWD vibration and noise

Tyrel

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford Explorer
I have a 96 Ford Explorer 5.0 all wheel drive. When accelerating there is a vibration and rumble noise from under what sounds like the driver compartment. It also clicks like a u join down when turning and in Reverse or under load. I have replaced both CV shaft and wheel bearing with no change to the noise or vibration. I have also removed the front drive shaft and drove around, and without the front drive shaft there is no vibration or noise of any form. The vibration is at the same speed the vehicle is traveling and increases and decreases with it as well. The front drive shaft did seem a little rough and probably could be replaced. Although I'm having a hard time finding the correct shaft. On Rock auto they have two options available one with a u joint at the axle and transfer case and the flange at the transfer case like I have, but my drive shaft at the transfer case has a double cardin u joint with the flange. The one that rock auto has that has the same double cardin u joint does not have the flange. The drive shaft in the vehicle which measures right at 29 inches u join to u joint. I do not know the compressed length though. At just normal cruising speed you can here and feel the vibration but the noise and vibration are not quite as prominent as when accelerating. The front axle is full of fluid, although a while back the vent tube from the diff got quite oily for no reason that I know of. I have checked it multiple times since and it still seems to be full of fluid. I have also recently changed the transfer case fluid which did not look that bad, there were no shavings or metal that I could see. Any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's the CV joint from the front drive shaft - the one that is connected to the Central Differential (Transfer Case).
There are selling a replacement kit that is not that hard to install and you keep the original shaft. Because I had it out I have replaced the front U-Joint too. It was all rusted and harder to get out.
BTW, the shaft for V8 AWD is only 22-7/8" long.
My result:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3252817&postcount=31

Thanks for the help. That kit though is for the newer cv with the round flange I belive. The one on my truck is a double cardan joint. I know installed on the truck from the u joint at the axle to the u joint that mounts to the transfer case is right at 29". I was considering using the one from rock auto with the correct flange as mine but it doesn't have the double cardin joint, just a single u joint at both ends. I'm not sure what do from here. I can't seem to find a replacement of exactly what is there. Napa was only able to get the same parts as rock auto.

659622-FRO.jpg

659623-FRO.jpg

Mine has the flange of the shaft with the 2 u joints, but the double cardin like the other. The shaft with the double cardin they sell attaches with caps basicly, which is not like mine. I tried to post the pictures. Dont know if they will work or not.

For some reason I cannot see your pictures.
*edit--I fixed your links for you.

Where in Kansas are you located?

You want the bottom one I bet. Measure between the weld beads for length.

Note, the caption on the picture says appearance may vary but fitment remains the same.

It could just be a stock picture.

Hmm, I though that only 4x4 had that setup.

Im in phillipsburg KS, but i was kind of wondering that aswell about the pictures. Napa shows the same pictures too. May just have them order one and see what it looks like.

PS: The shaft length is measured between welds. I had a diagram on my thread, linked above.

rebuilt-explorer-2.jpg

Back