AWD working?

qwikv6

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 5.0L AWD
How to tell if the AWD is working?

I am going to look at a 97 5.0L AWD, 4dr tonight. I want to know how you can tell if the AWD system is working since you can't turn it on or off?
It's a 97 Explorer 5.0L, AWD, 79k miles, CD, moonroof, leather, Tow package. Nice condition. They re asking $9K. Is this a good price?

Also how do you figure out the trailer package codes and where are they located. On the door sticker?

Please give me some guidance.
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$9000 seems like a good price. Your getting low miles and a ton of options. But remember~ it doesn's hurt to negotiate. I bought a 97 XLT last year for $11,100. Read my sig, I got all the features except tint and K&N. I did those myself. But make sure if/when you buy it, take it to your mechanic and get them to look over the engine and all the vital parts. Ask them if they think $9K is a good price. Good Luck.

One more thing~ I forgot, my doesn't have a tow package which means no one towed with it. Look for wear and tear on the frame. More than likely if someone opted for the tow package, some strain has been put on the engine as well. I try to avoid these types of cars b/c I dont tow anything and I dont want a vehicle that might have been 'abused' with all the extra weight on the back.:)

I will give it a good looking over. I have mechanical experience. I just have not dealt with AWD before. We just sold a 93 Explorer so I know about them.

I just need to know how to tell whether the AWD part is working.

Thanks.

To see if the AWD works, you could always go find a sand pit somewhere, park in it, then stomp on the gas. Look and see if all four tires are spinning. :D .....Im not a mechanic, but maybe start a new thread saying "How to tell if my AWD works" You'll get a response quicker. Good luck with finding some help. Also, maybe try the search feature. There is alot of useful info that has already been posted that may be related to your topic.

It would be very hard to tell if the AWD is working or not on the pavement. Your best bet would be to find a dirt hill somewhere.. or something like that. Or pull straight up to a curb and stop with your tires resting against it. Slowly give it gas and make sure your rear tires don't spin and that you climb it easily. :D Or just jack it up! Rarely have I heard of the awd system failing in v8 explorers. Good luck!

Is there any way to disengage it? Mine is the Auto... dont know if thats the same as AWD or not. But would like to figure a way to take it out so i can manually put it in 4x4.

Thanks... that helped

Thanks for the replies guys!

I purchased a 97 V8 AWD Mountaineer with 106k miles on x-mas eve. I'd negotiate that price - I paid substaintially less for a fully loaded truck that had very few problems.

The 5.0s are quite strong, and so is the AWD system. The trannies on the V8s are also very solid. Look for signs of the truck being taken care of or not, and then think about how much work you want to put into it. A Compression test on the cylinders is a great thing to do. It being a 97, you may need new things such as shocks and a complete fluid change, maybe brakes. Look for all of these things before you buy, and negoitate down.

Back