Awkward shifting tranny

pet575

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Limited
2004 Limited; V8-AWD; 143K miles

Just last week, I've noticed that my tranny doesn't want to shift into OD on the highway when it is being driven for the first time of the day. On my morning commute, this happens like clockwork. I get on the freeway within a mile of my house and no OD. Then, in less than another mile or so, the tranny will shift into OD and perform just fine for the rest of the commute and for the rest of the day. Within 100 yards or so of the same bridge I go under on the freeway, it will start working right.

Starting to wonder if the engine and tranny being cold, and then warming up, is causing this? I bought this vehicle with 20K on it in 2005 and the dealer had changed the tranny fluid at my request as part of the sale. Since that time, it has not been changed. Been considering a change for awhile now but the "don't fix what ain't broke" theory has been holding me back in light of the discussions I've seen on tranny's failing shortly after a fluid change or a flush and change.

Anyone have any thoughts on the cause of my problem?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

at 120k it might be ready for a new filter and fluid. When they pull the pan they can inspect if for 'bad stuff' and get an idea of whats going on. If there is a a band adjustment they should do that as part of the service. I'd try that first and see if it changes things. But if they find chunks in the pan or no improvement thats bad sign.

I've read a 'flush' is a no-no, but an exchange is OK. Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion.

You should flush it, But I am sure that is not going to fix it. I have noticed that our 02 does the same thing. I believe its actually the Torque converter not locking up to help things get up to operating temperatures faster. The 02 does it and same with my 06. I wouldn't worry to much. Still flush it though, that def won't hurt anything.

My 02 with 296,000 miles does the same thing and alway has. I've read on here somewhere that it is normal, that the trans. fluid has to warm up before it will shift into OD. I've done the fluid-filter change and new solenoid pack and it still shifts the same. The other "normal" problem I have is it won't move for a few seconds when you first start it up.

Thanks guys. Seems odd to me that it doesn't do it if I drive out to lunch and on my commute home in the evenings. Only in the morning. Seems like it didn't start until we had a lot of consistent cold weather. I'll be interested to see if it continues to do it as the weather warms.

All modern automatic transmissions operate like that. They are desighned to not go into overdrive, untill the fluid is up to nomral operating temperature. That is why it goes into overdrive consistently at the same spot on your comute. It has always done that, i suppose you just haven't noticed. When ambient air temp is warmer of course it will go into overdrive quicker also. As far as getting a flush, that is a bit iffy. With 120k on that transmission fluid, there is a slight possiblity that it will cause problems. 80% chance it would be fine also.

Thanks,
Shawn

Back