• Register Today It's free!

awwwwww man

blackbeauty

Reaction score
City, State
canastota,new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 sport
I broke the driver side seat recliner. The thing snapped right off. Is there any way to fix or make it work w/o replacing the whole seat?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can buy the recliner handle from Ford
(Driver side recliner assembly: F77Z9862649BA $52)

or you could do what I did... dog leash end + S hook :cool::thumbsup:
P6140018.jpg

Nice touch Ritsui, :thumbsup: , I think I'll have to do that sicne there is no way I am paying more then a dogleash price to teh Ford dealership for a new handle.

The S hook works good, I made some pull straps with finger loops in them from the strapping on an old backpack, needle and thread.

I used bailing wire to attch it to where the recliner lever used to be, I drilled out that rivet you see with the S clip on it.

They are black, easy to pull straight up on, and you dont get your pants caught on them when you climb in/out.......have worked great for two years now..

Mine broke too. I got a new one from Fords quite cheap $80. They have modified the part so that it is much stronger now.

Attachments

• DSC00411 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00411 (Medium).JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 396
  • DSC00413 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00413 (Medium).JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 381

If thats steel where it broke, why not just weld it?

There's a recall on the driver side recliner bolt.

Try taking it to your local ford dealer and see if they will fix it. i have a 98 explorer xlt v8 and they did the recall.

Goober

thats right there is a recall we even got it here but didn't get the extended warranty on the cam tensioner

those neew ones still break :)

the problem comes from driving a lifted truck and sliding in and out of the seat, metal handle = gets caught on your clothes.
Cloth pull strap = free to make and install and does not get caught on clothes.

You cant weld it right there because the handle pivots on that rivet.

For 80 bones, I will probably replace mine. How the heck do you get it out?

lol

thats funny, sorry

:rolleyes:

Back