Axle code 41, why would both rear tires spin? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Axle code 41, why would both rear tires spin?

92 green sport

Reaction score
City, State
long island New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 sport
I have a 92 explorer sport with a five speed. The axle code on the door is 41 which is 3:27 gear, open. Does anyone know why both rear tires would spin? I am confused about this axle code thing. Can someone explain the difference between the open rear and the limited slip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what kind of ground are we talking about? Ice? Snow? Welcome to the Site!

Thanks. There's lots of info on this site. It's great.

Snow and dirt. On dirt it leave two semi even marks. The passenger side shows a little more power.

An open diff will split the torque evenly between the wheels. If one wheel lacks traction, it can't transfer any torque. Since the other wheel will get the same amount of torque (zero), that wheel will not push the car forward even if it has a lot of available traction.

A locked diff will not allow any speed difference between the wheels at all. All the torque will go to the wheel that shows the most resistance. This will give superior traction, but the car will strongly resist cornering.

The limited slip differential (LSD) is something in between these extremes. It will allow a speed difference, but it will always provide more torque to the wheel that has the most traction. The amount of partial lockup is given as a percentage, usually 25%. That means that the difference in torque between the wheels can be as much as 25 percent of the total torque transferred.

Forgot about the spool blee :D

Basically the same as a locker, but a locker will unlock when your corning without your foot on the gas...spool is ALWAYS locked. It's just a solid piece of steel that replaces the entire carrier, no mechanical device to lock and unlock. The spool is the worst type of traction aid if your driving your rig onroad. I have one waiting to be installed in my 9" which will never see pavement...

I have a similar question that I've always wondered about. Is a front-end, such as a Dana35, locked? Or is it open? Or does this definition not apply?

Is it Possible the Rear axle has been replaced at one time. if not sure you might check for an ID tag on the rear end cover. it would list the rear end gears on that tag.

92 green sport said:
I have a 92 explorer sport with a five speed. The axle code on the door is 41 which is 3:27 gear, open. Does anyone know why both rear tires would spin? I am confused about this axle code thing. Can someone explain the difference between the open rear and the limited slip.

Rhett said:
I have a similar question that I've always wondered about. Is a front-end, such as a Dana35, locked? Or is it open? Or does this definition not apply?

open :me sad:

I'll check the rear housing for an ID tag but I don't think it has been replaced.

So it is possible for an open rear to leave two tire marks in dirt? If I was driving in sand (which is where I do most of my off-roading) and I got stuck, I would only see one wheel spin freely?

Also what is the difference between an open rear and a "regular" rear?

I have been into mustangs and drag racing since I was eighteen so I know about the LSD's and spools but I never heard of an open rear putting power to both tires. I always thought from the factory you either had LSD (both wheels spin) or a non LSD (one wheel spins).

http://www.geocities.com/maxim80801/red79notch.jpg

Thank you everyone for your insight.

put a jack under the rear axal lift both rear tires. spin one wheel forword, it the wheel on the there side spins the same way you are LS if it spin backwards it open, but if it says open, and one wheel spins, its open.

i have never heard of a regular rear end

It is possible that "regular" and "open" are the same thing on ntrprize's axle page.

Charlie's_93EB said:
put a jack under the rear axal lift both rear tires. spin one wheel forword, it the wheel on the there side spins the same way you are LS if it spin backwards it open, but if it says open, and one wheel spins, its open.

i have never heard of a regular rear end

Thats wierd I must have a open, but my code says I have a LS. When I spin one tire in the back the other goes the opposite direction. Thats very wierd.

Chew_12 said:
Thats wierd I must have a open, but my code says I have a LS. When I spin one tire in the back the other goes the opposite direction. Thats very wierd.

yep thats an open diff

Chew_12 said:

Or...your LS could be worn out or somebody used the wrong gear oil and messed it up... If a LS is worn out or the clutches stick, they'll act like an open.

And to answer 92's question, If both tires have about the same amount of traction, both still could spin. But if most of the weight is on one tire, like you're up on a bank or something...only the tire with less weight/traction will spin.

If you have an open rear can you just put in a limited slip (trac-lok) unit without any other changes?

92 green sport said:
If you have an open rear can you just put in a limited slip (trac-lok) unit without any other changes?

No, you have to change the whole carrier/center chunk. Which would mean new gears, or taking your gears from the open differential and putting them in a LS unit. But, 3.73 LS came in a lot of Explorers so you should be able to get one if you checked junk yards, etc.

Since you have an open diff, you could install a locker pretty easily. There's lots of opinions on what's the best option, just search a while and you'll find lots of info.

LBarr2002 said:
Or...your LS could be worn out or somebody used the wrong gear oil and messed it up... If a LS is worn out or the clutches stick, they'll act like an open.

And to answer 92's question, If both tires have about the same amount of traction, both still could spin. But if most of the weight is on one tire, like you're up on a bank or something...only the tire with less weight/traction will spin.

If this is true....That is probably what happened. Can anyone else say that this is possible? I did buy my X used, so I guess I never could know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you could find out by checking for the id tag on the axle or removing the cover...

Back