• Register Today It's free!

Axle code, might be stupid....

Peter Westling

Reaction score
City, State
Rosersberg, Sweden
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I have searched of course first in the forum to find out the axle code. Doorsticker. Dont have that one, the door is repainted and the sticker is gone.
Tag on diff house. I have a rusty tag on one of the bolts on the diff. I cannot determine the charachters though.

What is next step?
Also, if somebody has the part # for the 4.56 gear to my axle I would be happy.

Regards.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well your 93 has a Ford 8.8 with 31 spline axles and drum brakes.

But since all 8.8 ring and pinions are the same, any 8.8 4.56 set up will work.

The next way to calculate your rear end ratio (I will go out on a limb and say you have 3.73 ratio just like 99% of 93 explorer's, rarely you will see 3.55 or even 3.27)
is to put the tires up in the air, and turn the driveshaft, rotate the tire q full turn and count how many times the D shaft went around, kinda hard to do this way but it is possible. not much difference between 3.55 (3.5 turns) 3.73 (3-3/4 turns) and 4.10 (4.1 turns) Hope that helps!

could he run his vin somewhere on the net and find out?

I dunno but I bet Google does :)
therangerstation.com has a great page for gear ratio's and how to find out what ya got.

If you are going to re-gear the 8.8 to 4.56 though I am not sure it matters much :)

410Fortune: Thanks, never thought about the idea of putting the rear in the air and count...;) Clever solution.
About the regearing, I have done some searches and when it comes to 33"'s then most of the people says 4.56.
I will likely run 31" on winters and 32" on summers. What rpm can I expect when going in 70 mph (110km/h)? When I go today with my 31" I have about 1500 rpm when going 55mph (90km/h).

What about recomendations where to buy? Any part# for the 4.56?

And again, thanks for the effort you put in the answers.

4.10 might be for you if you wanna run 31's and 32's. 4.56 will be a little steep :)

I had 4.10 with 33's on my OHV 4.0L (same engine as you) and at 75ish in OD I would be right around 2800 RPM, with 4.56 it might jump to 3200 RPM or more.

32's = 4.10

If you plan to go 33's and possibly larger int he future consider 4.56. Also has to do with the amount of highway driving you do and what trans you have (5 speed can usually get away with 4.56, whereas an auto might be better off with 4.10)

Its a toss up and there is no 1 answer, since gears are EXPENSIVE (labor) reserach is key to making the right choice for you.

410: I'll will continue to do the research, and we will see what I will come up with, as you say I have to weight the different aspects, the use, trailrig or highway, tiresize, manual or automatic etc...

But I got the answer I was looking for,probably a 3.73 but everything 8.8 will fit.

I will look into the labor issue here, I have to see how much it is and son on. I suspect there is some lessions to be learned and some shims to be used..;)

Thanks for chiming in anyway!

Dont forget you need to re-gear the front too! For the 93 Explorer you can choose 3.73, 4.10, 4.56, or 5.13

no 4.88 made for the front.

I always believed the reason for not having a door sticker was that the door was repainted. It might also be the fact that european x's dont have the sticker on the door...

There is another sticker right under the hood just above the grill besides the engine belt installation sticker...

It was like you said 410, 3.73 LS (D4)

What do the other one tells? VIN Weight and colour is clear but whatabout:
Drive Cond.
Engine Moteur.
Trans B.VIT.
Trim garn.
Type U2.

Is there similarities with the US sticker?

Attachments

• Sticker.jpg
    Sticker.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 203

AXLE PONT D4

D4 Limited Slip 3.73 :thumbsup:

EDIT: opps looks like im a little late

410Fortune said:
well your 93 has a Ford 8.8 with 31 spline axles and drum brakes.

But since all 8.8 ring and pinions are the same, any 8.8 4.56 set up will work.

The next way to calculate your rear end ratio (I will go out on a limb and say you have 3.73 ratio just like 99% of 93 explorer's, rarely you will see 3.55 or even 3.27)
is to put the tires up in the air, and turn the driveshaft, rotate the tire q full turn and count how many times the D shaft went around, kinda hard to do this way but it is possible. not much difference between 3.55 (3.5 turns) 3.73 (3-3/4 turns) and 4.10 (4.1 turns) Hope that helps!

well i must have gotten one of those 1%.. i have a worthless 3.27 gear :fire:

i think its more that 1% haha. ive got the 3.27 l/s

Back