• Register Today It's free!

axle code question

big_hoovie

Reaction score
City, State
Laconia, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
I recently learned that there were two different rear axles installed by Ford: a conventional rear axle, and a 8.8", and I was wondering if looking at my axle code will tell me which I've got. The code on the door sticker shows 45.

any help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a '91-'01 Explorer, then you have a Ford 8.8 inch rear axle (because that's the only axle Ford put in these). Not sure what you mean by "conventional" axle, but the 8.8 is a pretty standard semifloating design. They came with a variety of gear ratios (3.27-4.11), and with an optional Traction lock (Ford's name for a clutch type limited slip). 1st gens used a drum brake set-up, where 2nd gens came with disk brakes. The axle code on the door sticker will tell you which gear ratio was installed and whether you have an LS carrier or a conventional "open" carrier.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure what I meant by 'conventional' either...I was just quoting from the owners manual.

It appears(according to the listing at the link above) that I have an open carrier....what exactly is an 'open' carrier. Does it simply mean no traction lock?

yes, an open carrier means that no matter what power is distrubuted to the wheel wht the least resitstance. A limited slip transfers power equally to both wheels upto a certain point (say 18%) then it slips and becomes more like an open diff.

a locked diff disturbutest eh same amount of power to both wheels as long asther'e power

a spool ALWAYS transfers the same amount of power

Back