• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Axle housing swap? shift motor to none?

kindred4x

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 sport
Hey guys, been around for a while but i don't post much, i can usually find what i need by searching, but i have a question. Currently I have a 3.27 gear ratio with 33 inch tires, yes it's a dog. I went to the junkyard and pulled a 3.74 LS out of a first gen with drum brakes, so im going to switch that housing to disc for my 96 2nd gen. Anyways i pulled a 3.74 front end out of a 2nd gen, when i got home i realized that the housing i pulled has no shift 4x4 shift motor, or a place to mount one. My question is, can I bolt up the junkyard front end, lose the shift motor all together and do something with the vacumn lines?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Yep -- you can use that 97+ front axle. Just ignore the vacuum lines. And its not a shift motor thats on your old housing, its the vacuum disconnect mechanism (called a "CAD" - central axle disconnect).

kindred4x

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 sport
Awesome. Thank you for the fast reply. Thats what i was thinking, and yes i was wrong with what i was calling it, the CAD. What a relief because i hear lots of bad things about thr CAD, and mine has been acting funny for the past two winters, and i would to get rid of it. Now i just need to find the speedo sensor gear i need!

gijoecam

Village Idiot
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ExSport, '00 F-150
Ford calls it a 'shift motor' but I've always referred to it as the CAD. If you go to a dealer and ask for a 'shift motor' they'll try and sell you one for the t-case first.... I hate having to educate the parts guy as to what I need....

-Joe

ericautopart

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey Shore
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 5.0L AWD
I'm going to hire Izwack to come work for me one day..