Axle housing swap? shift motor to none? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Axle housing swap? shift motor to none?

kindred4x

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 sport
Hey guys, been around for a while but i don't post much, i can usually find what i need by searching, but i have a question. Currently I have a 3.27 gear ratio with 33 inch tires, yes it's a dog. I went to the junkyard and pulled a 3.74 LS out of a first gen with drum brakes, so im going to switch that housing to disc for my 96 2nd gen. Anyways i pulled a 3.74 front end out of a 2nd gen, when i got home i realized that the housing i pulled has no shift 4x4 shift motor, or a place to mount one. My question is, can I bolt up the junkyard front end, lose the shift motor all together and do something with the vacumn lines?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep -- you can use that 97+ front axle. Just ignore the vacuum lines. And its not a shift motor thats on your old housing, its the vacuum disconnect mechanism (called a "CAD" - central axle disconnect).

Awesome. Thank you for the fast reply. Thats what i was thinking, and yes i was wrong with what i was calling it, the CAD. What a relief because i hear lots of bad things about thr CAD, and mine has been acting funny for the past two winters, and i would to get rid of it. Now i just need to find the speedo sensor gear i need!

Ford calls it a 'shift motor' but I've always referred to it as the CAD. If you go to a dealer and ask for a 'shift motor' they'll try and sell you one for the t-case first.... I hate having to educate the parts guy as to what I need....

-Joe

I'm going to hire Izwack to come work for me one day..

Back