Axle Identification ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Axle Identification ???

fos4us

Reaction score
I'm trying to ID my front axle. I've got a 1991 4wd Explorer w/ 4.0 V6, and I'm replacing all 4 ball joints. When I went to the parts store they asked if I had a Dana 28 or Dana 35 front axle. There is no tag or other markings on the axle itself to help with identification, and my Chilton's manual is unclear. Any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

axle tag id 91-94 (missing tag)

Hey I would first like to say hello and thanks to all those that have posted b4 me, you guys are a wealth of info and saved me tons of money, THANKS!

now for the other stuff
according to what i have read and learned here on this site
"ALL 91 94 EXPLORERS HAVE A DANA35 FRONT AXLE"

I went looking for my tag to find out for sure what I had and of course it was missing. so i searched thru the posts here and it seem the general consensus is

91-94 = Dana 35
PLEASE CORRECT ME IF THIS IS WRONG CUZ IM GUESSING.

BTW I was looking cuz im doing a ball joint job and after 5 different parts stores around florida no one could tell me for sure what front axle i had so i couldnt even get parts??????? (I even went to my local ford dealership and they told me the famous "GO LOOK at the axle code"
The bids i got for the ball joint job was
$300 for both lowers (with parts+alignment) Middle Georgia
$700 for all 4 (parts extra+no alignment)North Florida
So I am really grateful to you all for helping me find the AXLE type so now I can get parts!
Thanks again
Matt
ps Im also looking for cheap body panels and bumpers for my restoration of a beat up old 94 eddie bauer

Love the site keep up the great posts!!!!

Actually every 91-94 Explorer has a Dana 35 IFS Reverse Rotation and every 95-01 Has a Hybrid Dana 30/35.

Back