• Register Today It's free!

Axle Question...

Thelgord

Reaction score
City, State
Clifton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
This has probably been asked many many times before, however I was unable to find it in other posts. I have a nearly stock '91Ex 4dr, and I have wish list longer than my arm. For now I am doing research first(from what i have read it is the #1 most important step when doing mods.).

I have decided to mod backwards, sort of. That is, rather than enigne and trany first, start at the bottom and work my up. The lowest point I could think of was the axles. I recently toasted my stock front axle and had it rebuilt, but I was thinking if I am going to mod, to do it right.

So, should I keep the stock axles? or change them both out for heavier ones? If change, what would be a good swap?

If the stock axles will hold up to a larger engine and tranny, that would be prefered, but I am sure I would need to re-gear. What are thoughts about gears?

This is NOT going to be a dedicated rock-crawler/super mudder/etc...

This will also need to get me around town and to/from work. I would like to go as far as I can (as time and limited budget allow) but keep it clean looking and street legal.

Thanks for any responce. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, it's hard to give a direct answer to your question as there are few factors that play a role in what you put into the truck. First of all, you can't swap in any other axles without a decent amount of fabrication work. Of course, this isn't completely true, since you could swap in a D28 from a Bronco II or Ranger, but that would be taking a step backwards in strength. The only other similar axle is the D44 TTB from an F-150 or Bronco, but it isn't a direct bolt in swap. Ideally, the best option is a straight/solid axle for durability and function off road, but you said it wasn't going to be a dedicated trail rig. So, what it sounds like you want is upgraded stock axles. Stock, they can handle around a 35" tire and a decent amount of power (The 4.0 OHV doesn't test their strength). The first thing to consider is gears, which depend on the tire size you're running. Next are lockers, which help a great deal with offroad traction. After that, you could seriously build the axles with superior shafts, joints, etc., but it really isn't necessary if you're not gonna be doing any hard core wheeling. Also, the 8.8 is a very stout axle and can handle lots of abuse, whereas the D35 is not so much and does not do as well with heavier use (such as tires 35" and above).

Wow! Thats a comprehensive responce :D Thanks!

I was thinking of a 5.5" skyjacker if I stay with the stock axles, and going up to 34-35" tires. I have seen a lot of post here and a lot of people seem happy with it, although there seems to be an issue with bearings.

I am also planning an engine upgrade (mainly just to prove to myself that I can do it). I was originaly thinking of going to the 302, but I just read a thread about a 351W! That would be really cool! But I will probably end up going with the 302 anyway. The 4.0 just doesn't cut it anymore, its old and probably dying a slow death. HAHA!

I would like as many mods as I can get in and done to get the XLT ready for the engine/tranny swap, so I dont break anything my first time out. As I have read on here many,many,many,many,many times, planning is the key. From I can see it, it's true.

Thanks again for the info :D

My opinion, your questions are WAY too generic. Throw out what you exactly plan on doing with the truck, and we can work from there.

Robb said:
My opinion, your questions are WAY too generic. Throw out what you exactly plan on doing with the truck, and we can work from there.

Lol, simultaneous posting strikes again. :D

A 302 with 33's - 34's with proper gearing should do just fine on the stock axles.

Robb, My wish list for my XLT.

5-6" Suspension lift
2-3" Body Lift
34-35" tires
Topless (of course)
302ci engine (or maybe larger but probably not, depends on funds and time)
be able to hit the trails 1-2 weekends a month
have a decent ride on streets and highways (I am not worried about road noise, but would like to keep a fairly smooth ride.

Other than cosmetics thats about it, for now anyway ;)

Back