Axle Regearing

ahodges

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millbury, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT - 347 S/C
I am getting ready to regear my 96 explorer with and axel code of 45, which is a 3.55. I want to regear it to a 3.73 for better performance and mileage since I recently put 30.5 inch tires on it and the mileage and performance has suffered.

In this change i also would like to put in a limited-slip. I found one on summit racing for the rear axel...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CMB-14-0064/Application/?prefilter=0

What do you think about that kit.

Also I need info on the front axel so I can get the correct ring and pinon for it. Such as if I need to get a reverse geared set-up and where to get it.

If this has all been talked about somewhere else please direct me to the thread, thanks..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would buy used axles and throw them in. That would be cheaper probably. 3.73s are easily found all day long.

I would buy used axles and throw them in. That would be cheaper probably. 3.73s are easily found all day long.

www.car-part.com
when looking for the front, search for the exact wording of: "carrier (see also differential)"

Well my truck has low miles on it and I don't want to buy a used one with higher miles on it when I can regear my current ones for about the same price.

How about a first gear reduction in tranny? Keep your high end the way it is and just change your lower gears for easier and quicker accel.? Might cost about the same.

however i have oversized tires that cause it to down shift when going up pretty much any hill on the highway which isnt good for the tranny so gears are the only way its going to help out.. I just want to know about the front axel stuff.

used axles... $200
re-gear $500 per axle

oh and with used axles you can pickup a nice limited slip too

I am surprised you are having the downshift issue. I had 28" tires on my 97 EX when I bought it. My speedo read 4 high all the time. I went to 31" when the old ones went bad and my speedo was right on and I do not have the constant shift issue. Good luck though.

$300 can get you a "SET" of 3.73 axles. Takes about 4 hrs to swap. You can find used sets of 3.73 gears from members here who have done gear swaps for free almost...lol

I understand your concerns about wanting to baby your low mileage rig, but IMO, unwarranted. Our set ups from factory (2nd gen) are stout, and last for hundreds of thousands of miles. They do set up the gears backlash with a little slop, but not so much to cause concern of pre-mature wear for the most part. 3rd gens have troublesome rear problems, and have caused concern for some that do not recognize previous gens are different.

Westwood Auto And Truck Parts (Toledo OH) Has eight, Grade "A" , gear ratio 3.73, front differentials for $150 each (Tel: 1-866-317-9271)

If you don't mind just a little drive, Pheonix Auto Wrecking (Lima OH) has a Grade "A", rear axle assembly, gear ratio 3.73, limited slip, (stock# L21119) out of a V8 5.0 AWD truck. It comes with 30 warranty for $99.95 (tel: 1-419-228-16240)

So, for $250 you can switch your gear ratio front and rear, add the limited slip and spend some quality wrench time with your truck.
OR spend a grand to keep your axle housings, its your money.

Whoa, good point Gmanpaint. Someone slap me silly for not catching the year from the first post. That was the bad news, shame on me.
The good news is this:
While your at Pheonix Auto Wrecking getting that rear diff, you could get the front diff that has the vac globe, 3.73 ratio to match that rear they have, and heres the kicker to it, just $99.95 (stock# D01410)

So, in conclusion, for $199.90 you could get the front and rear differentials, rear limited slip, your chosen gear ratio, all for less than buying just one replacement ring and pinion set.

Thats a good deal right there. Id snatch that up fast. Im exactly where you are. Looking for new "used" gears. Its been a few months and nothing really has shown up for a decent price. Good luck.

GMANPAINT... I guess i am a little ignant! WTH is a CAD on front diff on 96's?

Central Axle Disconnect what makes the front axle live or not allowing 2wd when not live.

Oh wow.. thanks a lot guys!! Especially "my pos mounty" for looking up those axels in my area! I think I'll give that place in Lima a call cause that sounds like an excellent deal!

Thanks to all of you again.

So I called Pheonix Auto Wrecking and they said $125 for the front and $200 for the rear limited slip both with over 150k on them...

The only part I really don't like is the 150k.. whats the consenses?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, I would ask why the parts are listed online @ www.car-part.com for less than what they are quoting you.
Stock # L21119, rear axle, 3.73 Limited Slip Diff = $99.95

Ok, how far is Marshalls Auto Parts from you?
$69.95 for LSD rear (stock # 090829) with only 96,000 miles on it. (Circleville , TEL: 1-800-333-2104)
AND, they have the matching ratio front differential with your CAD, also for $69.95

Back