• Register Today It's free!

Axle seal emergency help ASAP!!

wesalexleft

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mountaineer V8 4.6L
Im replacing the rear axle seal on a 2003 mountaineer 2WD. All was good until taking the wooden stick to drive out the axle half shaft. I had the stick in the wrong location apparently, and separated the cv-joint cups. Right now I have the axle out on the ground with the cv-joint exposed and the innermost part of the cv-joint and shaft still in the differential. I'm working to get the innermost part out, but is the cv-joint screwed?? From what I see, it looks like two rubber boots that clamp together.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2nd half is out and all appears to be okay. They just slip together and are held together by two halves of rubber cups. Only problem is I have to make a "best guess" at the orientation of the CV joint to reassemble and replace the band clamp with a traditional hose clamp. Anyone see a problem with the normal type of hose clamp being used?

Balance perhaps.

I'm going to shop around tomorrow for band clamps and a tool. If not, I have two options since it will be assembled tomorrow. Zip ties...I have some heavy duty ones and I've used those on the rack and pinion. Thanks for the second vote on those. My other option, and I'll be happy to hear opinions, is that I did carefully spread apart the crimp on the original clamp. I've rewrapped it to try it out and clamped it tight again with nippers. All seems good except I can't dent the top like the factory did to ensure it will stay crimped. Any thoughts?

make sure you clean the joint perfectly clean first,, than fill the cup end about 1/2 full of grease, than push the ball bearings in straight, and not on an angle, ,once it is in all the way, than hold it like that, and put the boot back on, and clamp it with the tie wraps,,

usually the boots go on the axle like this,
32.jpg
before the axle is assembled,,

Okay, so the new seal is in and I'm ready to install the axle. All I've found says to "slide" the axle into place, but I'm struggling to get it where it should be. Am I missing something? I haven't hammered on anything to avoid damage to the CV joints. I didn't expect problems getting the axle back in. Right now I have it almost to the second step of the seal lip and step on the axle. I can't push on the outside end of the axle because all that happens is the space in the CV joint compresses. Help!

You should need to compress the joint to get the axle in. I usually get the splines in the bearing and use that for leverage to lightly tap the axle in. There is a type of snap ring on the axle that requires some force to get it back in

Got it just a bit ago. Just being too careful I guess. After I got the splines engaged, I took the axle from the tire end, and with a good bit of momentum, drove it home. Gave it a tug and it seems to be in there. I was trying to keep the cv bearings from bumping the bottom of the tulip. No other way, but did the trick.

Have used zip ties with no problem inthe past. It would be best to us mil standard tie though.

Back