• Register Today It's free!

Axle seal leak at CV axle

wessker96

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer xlt
Alright, I have a 1998 4.0 AWD lifted 1.75 inches using Warrior shackles and tt. New leaf springs and Shocks. When I lifted I knew already that my Passenger side outer CV axle was bad so I replaced it, while down there I noticed the axle seal had a minor leak to it, so I replaced it as well with a new seal. Well now it leaks heavier. Its when I'm driving it comes out and blows back on my exhaust giving a horrible smell. Two weird things tho. It seems like a lot of fluid but when I check the level its still right there where I can touch it with my pinky end. Yes its down a little but not as much as I would believe it to be with the amount of fluid I see. And secondly it seems to be coming more from where the axle seal and cv axle meet up more than the back side of the seal. SOOOOO I took it apart and did it again, new seal again, and made sure the CV axle was snug as well. Even giving it a few light taps to make sure it was tight. But hate to say it its still just as bad. The only thing that I can think of that is unusual is that both time my cv axle came out it pulled the...I guess drive axle is what its called...not sure....but its cylinder with notches on both sides. One side goes into differential other side is what cv axle snugs up on. Well it cam thru the shaft and out with cv axle. I had to re set it back in there make sure it was snug and connected before reassembling the axle assembly ...has that happened to anyone else? Is it normal at all? And secondly I could use some ideas on how to correct this leaking from the axle seal. Its driving me mad. But I am out of ideas so Thought I would throw it out there and see if you all had an experience with this. Can put up pics if needed.

Thanks.

Back