• Register Today It's free!

axle shaft in open carrier?

Palmer7

Reaction score
City, State
Beaverton/Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
EXPLORER YEAH!!!
Hello all, I'm going from having a lsd rearend over to an open carrier with a Spartan locker. My question is how do you prevent the axle shafts from sliding out each end of the axle? On the lsd there are c clips inside of the carrier but now there is no place for c clips so I'm confused. Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It doesn't mention it at all though according to the installation manual that came with the Spartan. To be honest it doesn't look like they would fit anywhere in the carrier or locker anymore.

:salute:Nope think that's as close as I can get.:salute:

:smoke:

Thank you very much for the video! But my next question is do they make a Spartan locker for the 31 spline 8.8 that doesn't have c clip slots? Because last time I looked my locker does not have notches like that in it... Unless I'm crazy... Because those seem very noticable.

There is chance they make it without c clips. C clips are one of the main things drag racers eliminate in high powered cars because the axle can come all the way out if it snaps, where a car with c clip eliminators won't.

Ah well I'll get a chance to look at mine when I wake up today haha. Hopefully it does have slots or ill be very angry because the place I bought it from had no indication of it having or not having slots.

There is chance they make it without c clips. C clips are one of the main things drag racers eliminate in high powered cars because the axle can come all the way out if it snaps, where a car with c clip eliminators won't.

Yes, they make a non- c-clip locker..... but if that is what you have they sent you the wrong one.

You will need the c-clip type. Unless you plan to convert your 8.8 to a full floater.

Here's the link for the float kit $1,259... Ouch!!
http://mitchelldifferential.com/full-float-conversion-kit/
It's nice to dream though.

If I had 850hp I'd float it, but not I think today captain!

No I have no plan for that haha. I got to look at it this morning and found that it does have the slots I just didn't notice but thank you everyone for your help!

I'm running into another problem now I cannot install the cross pin past my gears anymore. The ring gear sticks out past my cross pin hole for the carrier so the pin can't be put through the hole. Any ideas guys?

First I just have to ask,

Did you already "set up" your new ring and pinion and check pinion depth and backlash?

If so I am assuming your new set is 4.11:1 or 4.56:1

Higher ratio ring gears are thicker and can partially cover the cross pin hole.

So what to do?

Pull the carrier back out and remove all the ring gear bolts.

leave the loose ring gear on the carrier and drop back in.

leave the bearing caps off for now.

Redo the c-clip trick.

Now you can tilt the ring gear just a bit to get the pin in.

Then put the bearing caps on and torque.

Now re-bolt the ring and torque.

Pain, but doable

I found out I could just shave down the gears a bit to fit the pin in so I did that works fine now. Didn't want to mess with trying to get the ring on in the diff or get a notched pin. Thanks for the quick reply though.

Done!

Now you can bring it to Truck Haven!

Back