• Register Today It's free!

Axle shaft play

ckomai

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
When my tires and 4x4 hub are removed and the axle shaft (i think that is what it is called) is sticking out, there is play in it. More so on the drivers side than the passengers side. I can use my hand and wiggle it about 3/4 inch in diameter. I have already replaced the wheel bearings and u joints on both sides and this did help alot. I havent offroaded it yet but my question is - will this be a huge problem that I should fix before I go offroad or should I not be to concerned about it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 'play' is normal.

Actually, you WANT the 'play', since that means the u-joints on the axle shafts are working smoothly.

Usually when the passenger side has no play, that means one of the joints (usually the outer one, closest to the rotor) is siezed and so the outer shaft is not getting the flex it should. This can lead to a broken u-joint or axle shaft.

If you've replaced all 3 u-joints on the axles, and there is just more play on the drivers side than the passenger side, that's just because of how short the drivers side is, and because the passenger side shaft is much longer, and has 2 joints.

Just be sure the hubs are cleaned up and in good shape, put a light film of grease on the axle splines, install the hubs and enjoy.

The 'play' is normal.

Actually, you WANT the 'play', since that means the u-joints on the axle shafts are working smoothly.

Usually when the passenger side has no play, that means one of the joints (usually the outer one, closest to the rotor) is siezed and so the outer shaft is not getting the flex it should. This can lead to a broken u-joint or axle shaft.

If you've replaced all 3 u-joints on the axles, and there is just more play on the drivers side than the passenger side, that's just because of how short the drivers side is, and because the passenger side shaft is much longer, and has 2 joints.

Just be sure the hubs are cleaned up and in good shape, put a light film of grease on the axle splines, install the hubs and enjoy.

x2

Frieking Awesome! My conscience is at ease now. Thanks fellas!

It doesn't have that play when the hub is installed. The hub has a bearing in it that the axle shaft slips into. So, as others have stated, you have nothing to worry about. Its supposed to be like that. (unless the u joint is shot.)

Back