Axle Shaft play | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Axle Shaft play

th148010

Reaction score
Recently I replaced the bearings in the rear end of a 1996 Explorer. I replaced the bearings, due to having play (in and out motion) on the driver's side. This fixed the play on the driver's side, but it is now on the Passenger's side. (both sides were replaced at the same time). Does anybody have any idea as to what might be going on? I just wonder if spider gears could be worn, or if the pinion gear in general needs to be re-shimmed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There will always be in/out "play" in the axle shafts - or else you'd never be able to remove them due to the C-clip design.

But it seems to have quite a bit of play. You can really notice the play. Originally it was on the driver's side (it was like you could almost pull the tire and wheel off the truck), and now it is on the passenger side, but not as bad. Also it is only the one side that has really noticeable play

If you took the carrier out (as you would to replace the carrier bearings), one reason why the play could have moved to the other side is if you reversed the shims. If you replaced the outside bearings (at the end of the axle tubes), then maybe you drove in one bearing further than the other.

thought that too

It had a tremendous deal of play, when I changed the outer bearings. It comes all together--the seal and bearings-- They both were smacked in as far as they would go. My buddy said he had replaced one side a few years back, and let the pin drop and the spider gears came out. with them coming out, could that accommodate for the newly found play.

We only replaced the shaft bearings. Could the carrier bearings be causing that as well?

My buddy said he had replaced one side a few years back, and let the pin drop and the spider gears came out. with them coming out, could that accommodate for the newly found play.
It could - the 8.8 has shims sitting under the side spider gears. If you forgot to put one back it, it could lead to more axle shaft "play". In the image below, the larger "rings" are the shims that sit under the side spider gears.

88SPDRGRKIT.JPG

We only replaced the shaft bearings. Could the carrier bearings be causing that as well?
Well yes since the carrier bearings does "locate" the carrier - but this is unlikely unless you are hearing noise from the carrier bearings (they are falling apart) as there is significantly less load/stress/weight on the carrier bearings when compared to the bearings at the end of the axle tubes.

BTW, when you said "a tremendous deal of play" - how much was it in inches?

how much play

when I first jacked the vehicle up, all still intact, I tugged on the top of the tire, and I thought it was going to come off in my hands. As I tore into it, nothing appeared to be broken or missing. however I did not eplace the carrier bearings, or even chheck them. When you drive it, there still is a small rumble feeling on the floor board--not the universals, already checkedd them. Also there is a hard kick down, every once in a while when I am comming to a stop.

Back