Derrick C.

Moderator Drinkin Corona
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Twin Falls, Idaho---------B.F.E.
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 92 XL
Ok well I had a really bad day out wheelin' yesterday. A really bad day actually.

We were playing in some soon to be canals. Rocks everywhere and strattling the middle of it. Very tricky!!! I got to the end of it and had to crawl over some big rocks at opposite corners.(passenger front and driver rear) I got out with a little struggle but got out under my own power. I tried a few more little crap but the truck didn't feel right so we went home.

Got up the smorning and got out there to inspect the damage. Couldn't see anything, so I jacked up the front to see if the hubs just went out. Nope they still lock!! So I sat there scratching my head. I then noticed a little fluid on the bottom of the front diff. Never seen that before so I crawled under it and BAM theres the prob!!! My passenger side axle shaft is just about hanging out of the diff!!! It doesn't look broke or twisted off. It actually looks like its just pulled out of the diff. I've never seen this before!! I've snaped one and twisted one in two before but this one really looks like it got pushed out or something. Can someone help me here!?! Did I break the shaft or what???

BTW I have 4.56 gears and an ARB locker. Please don't tell me the locker blew up, I just got it back!!!

*Warning: Person with little experience on TTB's*

Are there C-clips holding the shafts in there? Or are they integrated into the locker?

No matter what happens, you may as well tear her down and pull that diff cover open to inspect it.

Thanks Jason!!! Thats what happened. The clip broke in a billion peices!!! Its weird, I've never seen that happen before. Shop gets open tomarrow night so I'll get in there rip her apart and check the damage.

One warning for all of the early explorers here. Watch the for sale forum for an ARB locker and 4.56 gears for the front. If its too bad then I'll go ahead and start the solid axle swap.

Back