Axle Shaft, Slip yoke maintenance??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Axle Shaft, Slip yoke maintenance???

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Ranger stx
I will be replacing my broken axle with another and was wondering if the SLIP YOKE ( circled in red below ) should be serviced?? has anybody done this and if so what exactly did you do, did you need special tools to pull apart the two shafts inside the boot / slip yoke. If you have pictures of the slip yoke with out the rubber boot on this would be helpful.

I am having the axle replaced by a shop so I was wondering if I should asked them to grease it or clean it before they install the whole shaft.

Btw the reason I ask is because my current axle that is on the truck right now BROKE inside the rubber boot/slip yoke.

Thanks!!
SlipYoke.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All you have to do is take a screw driver and open up the little metal ring on the slip joint, then the two pieces will separate. You can clean the splines and put on some fresh grease. While you have them apart you should do the c-clip eliminator mod. That way you won't have to open the front diff to remove the passenger shaft next time.

I am confused :scratch: Your profile indicates you have a 2nd Gen explorer while the Axle shafts in your picture (below) are for a 1st gen explorer. In any case Little X is correct

SlipYoke.jpg

...I am currently working on putting together some Ranger Schematics...This may be of some help...:dunno:
Dead Link Removed

yes, lube that sucker

clean and lube is all it requires, make sure the grease seal is not damaged (rubber ring around the end is actually a metal seal pressed on there)

When you re-install the dust boot you may use some hose clamps or metal zip ties, I personally love these metal zip ties

I am confused :scratch: Your profile indicates you have a 2nd Gen explorer while the Axle shafts in your picture (below) are for a 1st gen explorer. In any case Little X is correct

SlipYoke.jpg

These are the ( Dana 35 front axles ) for my third gen ford ranger! My 4 wheel drive went out because of a busted right side front drive axle, just like the one marked in red.

Back