Axle Shaft sucked into spindle...wrecked hub? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Axle Shaft sucked into spindle...wrecked hub?

KPSquared

Reaction score
City, State
Wetaskiwin, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer
:rant::splat:So I was out wheeling for pretty much the first time since I got my rig to the place where I could actually wheel it.

Later in the day, I lost 4x4... figured out my passenger side hub wasn't engaging. I have the Warn Jeep hubs and was hoping they would last.

So, I just pulled it apart, and it looks like I never installed the axle shaft spacer (that splined washer) when I did the manual hub conversion. The stupid snap ring is there but no washer. So the axle pulled into the spinle and slipped out of the hub.

It looks like it stripped about 1/8" or maybe a little more of the threads off inside the hub. If I can get the shaft pushed out again and get that spacer on to hold it there, how much shaft is actually engaging inside the hub? There is a ton of spline left in the hub, just a little further in. Will my shaft reach that far in there, or should I just throw that hub away...(which would suck cause they were spendy)

I have all the stuff for a c-clip elimiator so b/w that and the fact I'll be finding a new spacer to put it, it shouldn't happen again, but I hope the splines will still mesh...

Stupid, stupid me... :rant::splat:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you should be able to get the whole assembly from a salvage yard for fairly cheap. if not ive got some off a 91 or 92 i could sell you if your interested in used parts.

I think you'd be fine. If you saw my junk yard hubs I'm running with 34s and a welded differential, you'd cry.
Try it- what's the worst that can happen?

If you're using a spring for the circlip eliminator, I suspect it would keep the shaft engaged with the hub, though if you got an extra washer, I'd still suggest putting it in.

The shaft engages with the hub a good inch or so, so you'll probably be OK.

I'm gonna head over to pick and pull tomorrow and see if I can't hunt down some washers. The drivers side is missing as well. I think the c-clip eliminator spring will do the trick for the pass. side, but I may as well do them both.

Then on to the alignment with the adjustable camber bushings. Need to get this thing a little more streetable... I don't have a decent tow rig at this point.

Anyone know where I can find an exploded view of the inside of a hub?

When I pulled my slightly damaged hub off, I found this:

IMG00036-20100917-0926.jpg

IMG00035-20100917-0926.jpg

It was squished flat but I pulled it a little and its kinda like a thin, flat spring. Any ideas where it came from or why it fell out?

That is the spring that pushes the splined sleeve over the axle (to engage the hub) when the hub knob is turned to 4x4.

If your hubs are made by Warn, they have a lifetime warranty. Give them a call - I just got new o-rings from them for mine.

Hmmm... alright. I wonder if this had more to do with my problem than my axle shaft sliding back or if it's a combination? If the splines didn't push forward with the hub locked, then the would not make great contact, even more so with the shaft further into the spindle and then they would strip out like they did.

Maybe I'll see if Warn will send me more than just the spring if this caused the failure...

Talked to WARN and they will warranty the hubs. Have a couple of the normal Explorer hubs from WARN to use in the mean time. Hope I don't break one before I get my replacements.

Went to pick and pull and got the washers, so now I'm good to go.

Back