GJarrett

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
I got a question from a J**per interested in an axle swap for his rear. How does our 8.8 31 spline compare in strength to a Dana 44? They're about the same aren't they -- the 8.8 being a little stronger strength-wise -- or am I way off base?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say they are both very similar in strength.

Thanks, friend. I thought so, but felt a need to get a little opinion confirmation. I'm working on my codependency problem :D.

BTW, I just picked up the new Offroad magazine yesterday and they show that the D44 and the 8.8 both have 31 spline axles measuring 1.31" at the splines. The D35 measures 1.19".

about the same but the 8.8 is basically listed on top of the 44 as far as strength goes. There was an article not to long ago that listed the axles in order of best to worst. So to speak in one of the 4x4 mags. I will have to go home and see if I can find that.

Yeah, I remember seeing that too but can't remember if I saw it in a magazine or on a website somewhere. If you locate it let us know where you found it.

I read that as well.

Also, I just purchased a "Stud Kit" for my 8.8. It replace the bolts for the carrier caps and has the TA diffy cover. The studd actually stick out through the cover and there are 2 nuts that bolt that down as well. The Racing shop has several 800Hp Monster Mustangs that are using the 8.8 with this stud kit and the rear end is holding up very well. He said I would not break anything with this set-up.

So, I tend to agree that the 8.8 should be plenty strong and rated higher than the D44 rear.

I remeber telling you about that Blue oval racing shop? How are they treating you there. I knew they would know what is going on cause when I went by there they had explorers, mustangs, f-150's, etc. Cant wait to just hear it and ride in your truck Rob.

The article you are talking about was in the 7/99 issue of Fourwheeler. It was about swapping the 8.8 into a YJ.

I had later heard the test was actually performed by Warn.

this is what they found:

Axle strength in ft/lbs.

D35: 4,000-4,300

D44: 4,600-5,000

8.8 (31 spl): 6,500 (the test machine was actually maxed out at 6,500).

Supposedly, the R&P and housing of an 8.8 are bigger and stronger than a D44. The only advantage (IMO) of a D44 is that it is not a c-clip axle (but for c-clips to be a problem, you must FIRST break the shaft).

I'd say an 8.8 is stronger.

Charly

brian1,

Do they say why? I haven't seen that.

I know the 8.8 is not liked because of the c-clips (everybody hates 'em).

Charly

Actually.....

They did say why, but it was farther on in the fine print.

They noted that most Dana 44s came with 10 and 19 spline axles and small thin tubes that were prone to bending. The later Dana 44 30-spline axles were what they considered in the list that rated them slightly higher than a Ford 8.8.

PS: 10 spline axle? :eek: Is that a missprint?

I think early 44s (like pre 70's, maybe earlier) had 10 splines.

Back